What's new
Car Wash Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas company cut my floor heat lines.....

Rudy

Active member
The local gas company....saw cut my heated car wash aprons without calling me....cutting several lines. They were replacing something that required the aprons to be cut. So now, after 30 years of flawless service, it obviously has to be repaired before winter. What cautions need to be observed? I need advice. I don't want them to put the wrong kind of repair coupling in there....pour concrete around it...and in 5 years...have issues. Is this a big deal, or a simple patch?
 
WOW. Was the apron installed over an easement or something? That is crazy they just came onto your property and started cutting - you had no knowledge of the impending work? Should be a simple patch If PEX, it's a simple job.
 
You want Full Port repair couplings. If they use an internal barb and crimp fittings it will reduce the inside diameter and restrict flow.
If you have PEX it shouldn’t be a problem. If you have the older black butyl hose you may have some concerns because that is more difficult to repair. You may have no choice but to use an internal fitting with the butyl hose.
IMG_5950.jpegIMG_5951.jpeg
 
I have had issues where certain types of metal in contact with concrete or buried corrode rapidly. You may need to be sure this will not happen. I know even shrk bite has a special silicone wrap for fittings that will be underground.
 
I have a contractor looking later today. He said Plastic was the best way to go for the couplings.... Do they have full flow Plastic?
 

Attachments

  • Cut heat line picture.jpg
    Cut heat line picture.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 18
Turns out AI suggests Uponor/Wirsbo PEX‑A expansion couplings (poly), or Rehau PEX expansion couplings (poly). Anyone with experience with these fittings? Supposedly they are full flow, and Oxygen Barrier.....

​

 
I know it's too late for this now, but why were they anywhere near the heated aprons? I can't imagine that the gas line goes under the heated apron. Wouldn't it be somewhere separate from all your floor heat tubing that's poured into the concrete?

and what municipality just goes on your property and starts saw cutting your facility without contacting you first?
 
The gas line comes to the wash...underground and up...right next to the building...so it does go THROUGH the heated apron. The gas company was replacing the 1" (1.5", 2"?) line between the meter and the street. They saw cut...on their own without contacting me.....
 
They saw cut...on their own without contacting me.....
Just to cover your a$$, I think I’d be having a conversation with my lawyer. I’d want the gas company to own that repair for perpetuity. If it fails in 3 years but the rest of the floor is fine I don’t want to be the one paying.
I’m fortunate to have a lawyer that is a friend of my wife. I’m can contact him easily and get a quick response for no charge. He also has a code at my wash so there is some compensation
 
Actually...AI told me the same thing. AI has a letter ready....which explains a legal term keeping them on the hook. The floor heat has worked for 30 years flawlessly...so any issues down the road....WILL be on them... It's just a matter of documentation....
 
Ugh....everyone has an opinion about what best to use for couplings. It turns out that the old tubes...were PB...PolyButylene. The 4' wide gap will have to use PEX...so a fitting is needed to connect PB to PEX to PB. I think the jury is leaning toward Rehau EverLoc + with appropriate sleeves....???? Comments?

Also.....Rehau recommends to bury directly in the concrete...and NOT use silicone tape or similar to cover?????
 
Back
Top