What's new

Gantry Style IBA verses Inverted L

sparkey

Reaction score
I am thinking about replacing my powerrain rollover gantry style machine that has spinning wands with an inverted L type machine such as a washworld razor machine. I seem to get a lot of complements as to how well my current machine cleans and I want to make sure I keep the same quality of cleaning ability and hopefully better with a new machine. I would like to hear from people who have switched from the gantry style machine such as mark 7, nustar, powerrain, etc. to a machine like washworld razor or PDQ laserwash and get their opinion if the wash quality improved. I am also looking for opinions if stationary nozzles would clean as well as spinning wands?

mac

Reaction score
I have changed out several for my customers. If you are getting good wash results now it means you are using good chemicals and water. Keep those and you should do fine. You might also want to look at Istobal's Tracer. Besides the inverted L it slightly angles the wand on the front and sides to get the hard to reach spots. Good luck.

ICEMAN1

Reaction score
I changed years ago from mark 7 to laser 4000. I also had a washworld once about 6 yrs ago. I my opinion, there is no comparison between a gantry style machine and an inverted L. The preasoak coverage alone makes a big difference. With my mark 7 you could never get total coverage. which made a huge difference in wash quality. The best thing about lasers is that there is nothing on the floor, no guide rails and no machine rails. I have the virtual treadle which for the customer is like pulling in their garage at home. I think gantry machines always having to carry their own weight on those skinny rails was never a good idea.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Inverted L is best, IMO. Never had a gantry style but L keeps the bay more open-feeling and customers like it.

Proper psi/volume, good nozzles, proper heat and soap, dwell time= clean car.

Customers are scared of spinners. Ask Whale O Wash. He had NuStar Comets and when he switched to Vectors he thought he died and went to heaven.

briteauto

Reaction score
You can't beat the presoak coverage on an inverted L machine. Any gantry style machine I have ever seen simply leaves much of the vehicle's surface poorly coated with chemical.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I'm actually converting the spinners on my trolley to an inverted L format. I agree that with the right chemicals I'll be able to clean the cars just as well as I do with spinners.

BBE

Reaction score
Do the poor pre soak coverage problems still apply on the newer mark vii units, like the aquajet and softwash/choicewash?

Gabriel

Reaction score
For our automatics the biggest problem with the touch automatic or any gantry style automatic as compared to the inverted L is in the problems and expense of maintaining the machine. Gantrys are heavy by nature and all of the hot water weight and functions are out on the gantry. We had constant gear box, wheel wear, and chemical wear and tear problems with them and they were expensive to maintain. It is a tough atmosphere out there in the automatic bay and the fewer electronics and plastics placed in that environmnet the better. We converted to Inverted L touchless automatics about 9 years ago, get as good if not better cleaning ability, very little to damage, nothing on the floor making it easy for customers and for us. It also put few electronics and expensive parts in the chemical spray and mix. Our problems have 90% decreased and damage claims are basically zero. Acceptance by customers is great and we are both relieved and happy with the inverted L Automatics. This is just our experience.

Etowah