What's new

Gantry Jumping and Twisting Off Track

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I recently posted a link with a Lovejoy coupling question but decided to start a new post so I can start from the beginning with a problem that has kept my one bay down this whole week: Here is the story. Monday I show up and the gantry is parked half way down the track and my exit door is open. I do a reset at the Control Center and the gantry will not move back to the home position. I notice that I am getting an error e0 on the left side VF drive and that the gantry will only move about six inches before I get the error code. I also notice a "hum" type sound from the motor that I never heard before. After looking around I notice that the Lovejoy coupling is shot. So I when I go to replace it I notice that the spurs will not line up. So I pull the wheel and the bearings and notice that the bearing seized and the wheel was tapered down to half it's size. So I buy a new wheel and bearings and I still get the VF drive error. So my distributor tells me to replace the gear box. When I pull the old gear box off the motor and the gear box seem to spin freely but I replace it anyway. After replacing the gear box the VF error goes away and the gantry runs down the track but the one side opposite of the gear box and wheel raises up into the air after about two to three feet of travel. So after my last post I decide to replace the other three wheels. Before I do it I disengage the lovejoy on the side I repaired to see if the other side will run the gantry a to make sure it is not failing and it works fine. So I replace the other three wheels but it still twists the gantry and lift it up off the tracks on the left side. I do still have a hum in the motor that does not sound right but the motor and the lovejoy move when powered. I am going to take the motor off tomorrow and get it tested to see if it is possibly only running on two phases. Could it be a bearing in boom arm? It's driving me crazy. Hopefully I will not lose this whole weekend as well.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
Ist. thing I would check is to make sure the lovejoy coupling is in line with the drive wheel, if it can adjusted by using shims under gearbox, this can cause the load on gearbox and will cause the gantry to try to jump rails.

dclark3344

Reaction score
Buzzie,
I sent you a private message with the info you need.

Warrior Wash

Reaction score
The humming noise in the motor could possibly be a bearing. I had this problem once and my electric shop was able to replace the bearing. But, I wouldn't think that would cause the gantry to twist. Keep us posted to what you find out. Thanks.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
It was the motor. I had it checked at the local Baldor dealer and they said it was bad (even though it did spin and power up). An old timer at the motor shop recommended a motor that he said was exactly the same even though it was not depicted as an inverter motor. He told me that is was spun with the same wire as the inverter motor and that I should not worry about losing any life or it overheating. I will post the model number once he sends me my invoice. It looks identical to the Inverter motor and it only cost $325 compared to the $600+ JCC wants for the replacement. The way I figure it even if I only get 2 years out if this motor compared to the four I got out of the other one I will still be ahead of the game because I did not lose another 3 days waiting on the motor. Installed easily and is running down the track normally now. Thanks for all your help guys!

Last edited:

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Here is the model that I used to replace the JCC motor. I know it is not labeled inverter duty but I have been assured that is pretty much the same. This info came from the invoice.

.5hp, 1725rpm, 3ph, 60 HZ, 56c, 3516m, tenv, F1, Model CWDM3538, Cost $325+Tax