What's new

G&G LED Lights - Feedback?

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Has anyone laid down the chunk of change to purchase and install the G&G LED light tubes Kleen-Right has on their website? I Know it's be cheaper to go with the LED fluorescent retrofit kits, etc, however the tubes have that coolness factor of low profile install, etc.

What I'm looking for is whether you found them, or something similar, cheaper elsewhere? Are you overly ecstatic about the results? Would you do it again?

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
A friend had them installed at his wash. After about 6 months the covers started to Crack and they had to replaced under warranty. If you don't have a crawl space above your bay to install the drivers, you have to install them in your equipment room. That means at lot more expensive install because of additional conduit needed.

boywonder

Reaction score
We have had them for a couple years and were installing more. Haven't had no issues with cracking and my drivers are in the bay. Real easy to install.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
We have had them for a couple years and were installing more. Haven't had no issues with cracking and my drivers are in the bay. Real easy to install.
What kind of enclosure did you put the drivers in?

boywonder

Reaction score
What kind of enclosure did you put the drivers in?
The drivers are already in a sealed enclosure with 2 holes in them. One for incoming high voltage and one for low voltage. Just screwed them to the ceiling right next to the lights.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Has anyone laid down the chunk of change to purchase and install the G&G LED light tubes Kleen-Right has on their website? I Know it's be cheaper to go with the LED fluorescent retrofit kits, etc, however the tubes have that coolness factor of low profile install, etc.

What I'm looking for is whether you found them, or something similar, cheaper elsewhere? Are you overly ecstatic about the results? Would you do it again?
Jeff L,

We were looking for less long term maintenance. So far so good. We put them in three of our 6 bays 1.5 years ago. I know some will argue this, but they do give out more light than T8s with their enclosures. If I was in your area, I might :) volunteer (for free) with my light meter as further proof ... so you could see that I am finding more light & better quality of light than less water resistant T8s with a lens cover. I would take a fresh look at your lighting controls for additional savings ... if you are doing such a major redo. We are glad we did ... since we have significant not being used lull periods ... depending on the weather during these shorter daylight days this time of the year. Also the light meter would tell if there is gain by covering more linear area like the G&G vs the wall pack style of mounting of lighting in the bays.

We put our G&G LED drivers in our equipment room so we can't comment on the cracking of the Nine 90W 24V power supplies (drivers) that we needed. The installer does have to pay more attention to Voltage Drops & wire gauge if you install them in the equipment room.

There are cheaper LED waterproof strips out there ... but in a car wash environment we also have to be concerned about chemicals afffecting the LEDs. We are not 100% done installing non waterproof other brand LED strips cut to whatever size in our dry areas such as in our laundromat & we are finding our results very validating that we made the right decision. The real test will be time though.

I did recently check out a convenience store with brand new LEDs inside with lens etc ... with my light meter in hand ... & saw those specific LED fixtures to have about half the average illumination of what is in our laundromat or in our bays. So not all LED fixtures are created equal by far. As a side note: We cut one of our non waterproof quad led strips about 37" long & it mounted inside an old pretty basic T12 shop light fixture housing ... we just happened to have the perfect width from a 4' drop off from another polycarbonate project ... we made some clips & it works great on the ceiling of the outdoor overhang over the east entrance of our laundromat. Our laundromat project's LED quad strips requires a lot of surface mount soldering ... so whoever is forewarned. Something that was not necessary with the more pre-done 6' (3 controllable 2' segments within) polycarbonate tubes of G&G's.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

ToFarGone

Reaction score
I had the cracking issue as well. Called GG and had new ones coming in no time. Great service and nice folks. Bought another set shortly after. They are using a different material on the lenses now so its been smooth sailing. The drivers are sealed and "potted" (sp) so they have been no trouble. They are in my automatic bays so they do get wet. In my situation I didn't have to run anymore conduit other than what connect the lights together. I just tagged onto the 110 that was already there feeding my old lights. The instructions will tell you what size wire you need depending on the distance the lights will be from the driver. I think 16 ga was as big as it went. Conduit was 3/4" so pulling was really easy. I would have switched all my SS bays to GG but I got a good rebate on the retrofit LED bulbs. So I swapped all my 8' bulbs with 8' LED bulbs. I just reused my fixtures and tossed the ballasts.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score

Jeff_L

Reaction score
The website for the economy-lite link provided shows that light as a replace,ent for a 100W PSMH light. 4000K in color, & 3660 lumens. Probably need a few per bay?

seattleguy

Reaction score
I have T5 fixtures that are starting to burn out. Does anyone have any experience with the LED fluorescent replacements - the ones where you bypass the ballasts.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I have T5 fixtures that are starting to burn out. Does anyone have any experience with the LED fluorescent replacements - the ones where you bypass the ballasts.
Seattleguy,

One thing that I found out by using an accurate light meter to compare around town ... is that not all fixtures LED & otherwise have the actual effective lumens or foot candles that they list on their specs. Something to consider is they might be listing raw before their lens or whatever. We do not reqret going in the direction of LEDs G&G & also 6000K high foot candles low wattage tape that did not have their drivers or power supplies built in & pin ends like the ones you describe. Part of what I was concerned about is the fluorescent tombstone sockets eventually being one more point of failure (slight corrosion or whatever) ... even if your new LED replacement tubes may come with brand new end sockets.

Just a heads up for those interested ... E-conolight.com appears to have possibly their best deal yet for a day or two left at 15% off if you use CHILL15 promocode. We are very satisfied with e-conolight.com Cree 72 watt LED floods for our parking lot that have been installed for over 2 months now.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

Randy

Reaction score
Seattleguy, you haven’t had those fixtures very long for them to be failing. Are they the T-5 - 54 watt? Are the bulbs failing or the Ballast? Who did you buy them from?

seattleguy

Reaction score
Seattleguy, you haven’t had those fixtures very long for them to be failing. Are they the T-5 - 54 watt? Are the bulbs failing or the Ballast? Who did you buy them from?
Sorry not failing. Just the bulbs. The led replacements are about 20 to 30 but dont seem to save much energy.