What's new

Future of Carwashing

washboy

work in progress
Reaction score
I am hearing from many people in our industry that carwashing esp. the self serve is on the way out. What about weather, economy, competition, are the paints(cars) today only needing rain to clean them. Only a few years ago people were saying that the market was open because less than 50% of the car owning public wash their cars. Why has the wash industry accepted the down turn this way. I am wondering why we in this industry are giving away our product as our prices have gone up? Profits 5, 10 years ago were much better but our prices have not increased as tax, utilities, and fixed cost. The wash biss is putting us out of buisness by not abdapting. I feel the self serve wash has moved value minded customer more than ever to us. Qulity is value. How do we get the customer back to our wash? The best way to wash your car is with a little elbow grease and $2.50.

washboy

work in progress
Reaction score
there are many things to add to the wash. In this environment, what do you do with the self serve when everyone is saying it is over? I feel the ss customer is different than yeasterday. How do we get back what we have lost over the past few years. I am refering to the avg. rev. per. bay over the last few years. Our customer has changed, they are more value based than ever.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Gary Baright in Poughkeepsie keeps pushing the cutting edge forward. He just installed a Micrologic gift card dispenser for his customers. They get more value and he builds loyalty. It takes cash or credit cards. He has a credit card reader in the dog washes, vacuums and self service bays. Don't give up. Keep improving. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FgPeoWW8Kg
I was at that wash about a week ago. It's cutting edge for sure. There are several washes in that area...including Tom's that are far from dead. If you need a little carwash cpr it's worth a trip to see some of these locations and talk with the owners.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
I know the customers are changing but you still have to fight to earn their business. We all know that getting our customers using credit cards will bring us about $2 more per visit. There are locations with as much as 35%-40% of their revenue in the bays coming from credit cards. If you can get gift cards in your customer's hands they could spend more and could be your loyal customer.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Reality Check:

It's a big world out there.

A few on this forum said SS is dying out.

This forum (all members) represents a sampling of those who own carwashes worldwide.

You can believe this sample/sample size or you can find out for yourself. Merely asking the question again to the same group isn't really 'finding out'.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I don't agree that SS is dying, it just may be for some, for whatever reason. I think the biggest problem is that most areas are overbuilt, which spreads the SS customers out and no one makes any money. IMO, most SS customers are SS customers because they want to do it themselves or feel that they do a better job than automated washes. I would bet that price is not that high on the list if you queried them.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Self-service seems to suffer most in areas that have a lot of alternatives (i.e. express, full-service, gas stations, etc.) and/or high concentration of middle class households. So, I don’t believe that overbuilding is necessarily a main cause.

Then how do you get customers back? The first step is to determine how many customers there are to be had.

Your target audience is “do-it-yourself” (DIY). This means there is the potential to capture virtually every motorist who lives within your trade area and washes their vehicle at home in the driveway.

What is a car wash? Some experts believe it has become a luxury that people are less willing to buy. Most of the people I know consider car washing a chore like mowing the lawn. Chores require time as well as effort and expense.

Since a self-service car wash facility is an alternative to washing at home, your products and services have to represent a great value to motorists in terms of time, effort and expense. This means that a great car wash must be convenient and useful.

When was the last time you used direct mail, canvassing or other advertising or promotion to inform home owners in the trade area how and why your car wash facility is a more convenient alternative to washing at home?

How useful is your car wash? For example, if you don’t accept credit cards, you face the possibility of losing every motorist who prefers to pay with plastic. Even in rural areas, more people are using plastic to buy things.

The middle class has been price sensitized. In most cases, the desire to wash is still there but the ability and willingness of people to spend is different. So, a significant drop in price may be called for to attract more customers. Some self-service owners are accomplishing this with things like unlimited washing and/or offering more services.

I could go on but I have run out of space. Hope this helps.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Self-Serve Is Simply Evolving, Not Dying!

Consider this, my myopically challenged friends.:rolleyes:

Self-Serve has long been considered an unstaffed carwash operation whereby the customer does everything himself (or herself).

Initially it was simply a hose & bucket... which was improved with the advent of pressure washing. Chemicals continued to get better... and safer.

Coin-acceptors that eliminated an attendant. Automated cash control in its most rudimentary form.

Then, self-serve included inbay automatics, both friction or pressure wash. More automation with better results.

Now, self-serve has also evolved to include express with automated cash control, replete with self-loading conveyorized washing & drying.

Self-Serve has been evolving for decades! The advancements in automation and surface-care technology are very much alive and well.

Gradually, consumers may be limited to 2 choices: Automatic or Hands-On.

Automated or Manual.

People... or Androids.

The common denominator? Dirty cars that continuously require exterior cleaning.

Cheers...

-Steve

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
This topic is something i have been contemplating for sometime now. I own a six bay self serve in a low income area. I also work for a company that operates exterior and flex serve locations. One of these locations has an additional eight bay self serve that is possibly one of the busiest or higher grossing self serves in town. The main reason for this in my opinion is that this self serve is maintained by the employees from the express wash for over 15 hours a day. If a customer has a problem it is resolved then and there. If there is a mess, it is cleaned relatively quickly and the onsite supervision prevents a lot of messes and problems before they happen. So after reading some of the previous posts and the "evolution" of the self serve industry, my question is "Have we evolved too far?" Would my self serve in the low income area, which includ downtown and a major university, benefit from a full time attendent? Has the technology replaced a human touch that people might be looking for and appreciate. Would this be considered a value to customers. I know from managing car washes that when a customer has a problem or an issue with something that being there when it happened was easier for me to deal with versus having to contact them later, and the customer seemed happier as well. I know there is are good arguements for credit card acceptors and such, but at what point do customers just want to feel comfortable knowing there is someone there to help them if needed.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
People-Power!!!

There was a time when many self-serve carwashes benefited from having an on-site attendant during daylight hours. It actually created an overall feeling of safety as well as providing vigilant operational oversight.

Initially, it usually was, or used to be, the norm for an owner who carried on routine maintenance & housekeeping. Eventually, when equipment became more reliable, he got a caretaker that would manage housekeeping issues.;)

Gradually, only the higher volume self-serves with good locations kept an attendant on the payroll for on-site presence.

But your comment brings to question if an on-site attendant would be a draw for customers who simply felt better patronizing a self-serve operation with a real-live person was there to render assistance or simply provide some level of security as well as maintaining good housekeeping.:confused:

Would an attendant be an asset... or a financial burden? Might it be wise for some self-serves to hire a part-time retired fellow just to keep an eye on things, with cell-phone at the ready?:rolleyes:

It definitely seems like a practice that goes against the current mindset of frugality. Given that labor laws have become considerably more sophisticated over the years, and making it exceedingly more difficult to embrace what seems like a commonsense option.

My personal feeling is that real-live people are an asset. It makes sense for a self-serve operator to find (maybe a mobile detailer seeking a fixed location) or create a hands-on detailing option (profit center) to justify a human presence.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I think Baywatch may have at least hit on part of the answer. As someone has previously mentioned, the self serve customer likes to clean their vehicle themselves. Sometimes I think we have complicated the process with all the choices and "gadgets" available. Some being there to help certainly wouldn't hurt. There is also the personal safety issue as well. Recently in our area there have been assaults and even a shooting at local self serves. Many self serves in the inner part of the city serve as hangouts for drug transactions,prostitution and crime in general. I think a human being on the property is a good idea if it makes sense profit wise.

One of the other pieces to this situation is the decline of the do-it-yourself market in general. I read an article not too long ago about changes many of the auto parts stores are making in their program like changing wiper blades or installing batteries and even in some cases helping with minor repairs like changing a fuse or light bulb. The article suggests that this market is giving way to the convenience oriented customer who likes to get things done for them quickly and easily.

I don't think the proliferation of other types of washes has had as much effect as the changing habits of the public, the economy and the weather.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Self-service may be diminished somewhat but the category, and DIY market in general, is going to be around for a long time because it is going to feed off Gen-X and Y, the next breed of DIY.

“…to this situation is the decline of the do-it-yourself market in general.” “…auto parts stores are…changing wiper blades…batteries and even …..changing a fuse or light bulb.”

Smart move by auto parts stores because these are every day needs that were not being met by local gas stations and convenience stores.

Unmet demand + convenient + useful = profits

Self-service owners should also consider positioning for the onslaught of baby boomers. Over 70 million strong, most with two vehicles and moving from DIY to DIFM as they age.

Satisfying these folks at self-service sites may mean having fewer wand-bays and more in-bay express or mini-tunnel and more customer service like a full-time professional, owner or manager, not a property caretaker.

washboy

work in progress
Reaction score
I feel like my SS customer base is now the detail oriented customer one that whats to do it for them self and that cares for the 2nd most expensive purchase of the life, next to the home. The new gens x,y and z can go to any iba for $2 or $3 down the street. I have added all the functions available in my wash to seperate me from my competition even to the point that I can e-solve almost any problem at my wash when they call and I am not there. I have kept my price the same and have had linear growth over the past few years. How do we build the value in the product, space we sell and rent, in the future to grow? I was told by someone and heard it here also to put a gate charge 1 fee for the carwash buffet. I can't help but feel that that is lowering my price and devaluing my wash.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
The only major change in the traditional self-service business model has been the addition of in-bay automatic. Otherwise, the strategy of the industry has centered on protecting the model through technical measures and working in parallel with operators to protect those measures.

For example, foaming brush, clear-coat foam, spot-free, more efficient modular equipment and, more recently hand-held dryer and tire shine applicator.

Whether this approach has been successful might be echoed in your “I have kept my price the same and have had linear growth over the past few years.”

“How do we build the value in the product, space we sell and rent, in the future to grow?

Arguably, the search for new business models is the better way to go even though it may take some time and effort to identify them.

Is the one-price buffet model the answer? I’m sure that it will work in certain markets and for some sites. However, I believe that you have to consider that this model comes from a mindset that believes service consists mainly of accuracy and efficiency, the smile is optional.

Maybe you can find salvation with a dog wash. However, this has nothing to do with car-care.

That is why I advocate things like express in-bay or mini-tunnel, full-time professional attendant, not a part-time caretaker and marketing.

My daughter is a junior in college. She drives a small hatchback with over 100,000 miles on it. She washes her car at wand-bays because she can’t afford or would she pay for a full-service wash. She spends about two hours a day on Facebook and Twitter. She shops a lot on the www. She doesn’t know very much about cars nor does she care to.

The county has a population of over 900,000. There are well over 45 car wash sites not counting gas stations. I can count on one hand the number of car wash businesses here that have a website and there is not one express exterior or high-speed in-bay wash within driving distance.

How can you expect to grow if you don’t reach your customers and satisfy their unmet needs?

Take a page from what the auto parts stores have done, put more service and marketing in your business model and create more loyalty customers.

Hope this helps.

Etowah