What's new

Future of Car wash

jajja88

Reaction score
What do you guys think of the future of the car washes since there is new technology coming that will keep the paint dirt free?

MEP001

Reaction score
That technology is old news and doesn't even work.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
What do you guys think of the future of the car washes since there is new technology coming that will keep the paint dirt free?
Hear plenty of birds and Bugs laughing at this one.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Since the average age of light vehicles in the USA is 11.4 years and continues to increase, it will be at least a decade after it's proven, adopted and widely implemented. That is unless the gubmint adopts a "Cash for Clunkers" type program to rid the streets of non-self-cleaning vehicles! But they wouldn't do that, would they? After all, it just about killed the Used Car and recycled auto parts businesses. UhOh!

MEP001

Reaction score
I suspect a troll OP anyway.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“What do you guys think of the future of the car washes since there is new technology coming that will keep the paint dirt free?”

“That technology is old news and doesn't even work.”

The self-cleaning paint on Nissan’s Leaf certainly does work. Waterless carwash technology also works and many commercial operators also scoff at this.

“If” they can figure out how to get popular “effects” in the coating, it might take 18 years or so at current turnover rate. Change would also depend on consumer acceptance rate.

Aside from this near term depends on where you are located.

If you own a carwash where a bigger company is building a new 34,000 SF express exterior, then your future is probably pretty bleak.

If rural, you may own a carwash that isn’t worth the expense to build it.

If you own a wash where government is cracking down on labor violations by legislating bond requirements in face of unionization, then your future may be less rosy.

If you own a wash where water use is tightly regulated, your future may be less rosy.

Self-cleaning paint, waterless carwash, protective film, paint sealant, auto dry carwash, etc. are not complementary products and services, they are competitors.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Let me look out my door . Bunch of Seagulls and pigeons laughing at the leaf self cleaning paint.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Let me look out my door.....yep, there are 20,000 less commercial car washes in the U.S. as compared to 15 years ago.
I don't think "Self Cleaning" paint is the reason for 20,000 less car washes in the U.S. compared to 15 years ago!

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Let me look out my door, yep, my Hydro2 paint sealant is still working. No seagull or pigeon crap on car.

I know this because I now clean my vehicles with waterless carwash.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“I don't think "Self Cleaning" paint is the reason for 20,000 less car washes in the U.S. compared to 15 years ago!”

It was an analogy. For years, many people who sold equipment preached carwash was recession proof business.

It is not.

People say waterless carwash is gimmick to sell product (i.e. Randy Cressall, former president of Western Carwash Association).

It is not.

Nissan’s self-cleaning paint works. It is not perfect (satin finish only). It is not yet commercially available.

Is it desirable from consumer perspective? My wife said she would be first in line.

I use to spend $400 to $500 a year at the local wash. Not great quality, watered down wax and poor customer service. And, I like going to car washes.

Now, I no longer use one.

Laugh all you want.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Robert - you're so negative on this forum. Yes you have an opinion, we all do, and you have the freedom of speech, we all do. However, your responses do nothing but demonstrate your glass half empty approach to this business. We come to this forum for advice on topics, you provide FUD. I feel sorry for new owners here because you seem to pipe up the most making them second guess their decision to get into the industry.

To all you new owners out there, keep charging! Our industry is incredible because of all the problem solvers out there. There are many owners on this forum who have a wealth of positive energy and great things to share. I've learned a lot from these folks, you just have to filter a few folks out.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
btw - I really hate bashing anyone like this and online, but when I see someone p!ssing in my Cheerios, I'm speaking up.

As I look out my door, I see some dirty cars, better go get them washed.

Turbo

Reaction score
As a daily reader and infrequent poster I'm glad Robert is on this forum. Sometimes I don't get his point, frequently disagree, frequently his comments motivate more comments that enrich the forum and he also presents some surprising facts (ie that he uses waterless Carwash-I didn't think it worked at all but maybe he keeps is car clean so he never has to deal with a lot of dirt).

If I was getting in the business I'd want to know ALL the risks and decide which ones are worth worrying about

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
As a daily reader and infrequent poster I'm glad Robert is on this forum.
I disagree as much with RR as anyone (Sometimes I get worried if we agree:) yet I am glad he expresses his opinions. This is a place for people to express opinions and for readers to weigh the various viewpoints.

As someone once said "If 2 people agree on everything, one of them is unnecessary.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I also think it is good to have opposing opinions. It makes one evaluate their own views. However I do object when opinions are passed off as facts without supporting information. That could be misleading.