What's new

"FULL SERVICE" DETAILING - What Does It Mean?

buda

Reaction score
What is in a name?

Steve:

What percentage of the motoring public in the USA and Canada do you suppose understands more or less what "auto detailing," means?

An interesting side-bar on names:

If Adolf Hitler's paternal grandfather had not come to lay claim to either Adolf or his father (don't remember which) Adolf Hitler's name would have been:
Adolf Schnickelgruber.

Not much in a name, but could you imagine 80 million Germans yelling "Heil Schnickelgruber?"

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Automotive appearance-care

That's precisely why I have referred to detailing as AUTOMOTIVE APPEARANCE-CARE... and offer it as a sensible alternative to what you often refer to as "maintenance". While the definition of "maintenance" does broadly describe what is technically done during the AUTOMOTIVE APPEARANCE-CARE PROCESS, the commonsense understanding universally is more towards "the preservation of an ongoing process or condition, a perpetuation of being maintained in good condition working order... or constantly repaired."

It seems to be more descriptive of both the act and the benefit to simply say that carwashing and detailing are part of the process of AUTOMOTIVE APPEARANCE-CARE.

I've been referring to detailing as AUTOMOTIVE APPEARANCE-CARE for the past 40-years, and customers have a clear, unmistakable understanding immediately.;)

Hope this helps...

-Steve

Last edited:

buda

Reaction score
Steve

Thanks for the commentary but you did not answer my question: What percentage of the motoring public in the USA and Canada do you think are familiar with the term detailing?

Regards
Bud Abraham

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
It Depends...

I never found a need to research or study that aspect. :confused: It's probably a low percentage, given the size of the motoring public in North America.

Not the hottest pan on my stove, Bud... but I wish you luck on that quest.:rolleyes:

-Steve

buda

Reaction score
Percentage of Motorists Who Recognize DETAILING

Steve, et el:

It seems that a farily close approximationo of the motoring public that recognizes the term detailing is somewhere between 25% and 30%, or more which has resulted in the number of independent detailers that have sprung up in the past 20 years and moreso, because of the term being used on the internet, by the car wash industry and auto dealers themselves promoting and selling detail services at the car wash and the dealership.

That said, whether it is 20% or 50% the point is that a large number of motorists do, in fact, recognize the term detailing for what it is or at least recognize that it has something to do with waxing cars; polishing and waxing cars and interior shampooing.

If a number of motorists do recognize the term, and most of these motorists are those who would purchase the service, in any case, why would you want to change the term to those you suggest or any other???

You got to ride the river the way it is flowing and that is, "people do recognize the term." And you can bet the large number of detailers (mobile or fixed location) are going to continue to use the term; auto dealers are going to continue to use it as well as thousands of car washes will continue to use it.

For me, I am going to continue to educate the consumer as to what detailing is and urge my customers to continue to use that term.

There is certainly no reason to try and find a new name. It is best to simply spend time educating the public what constitute a full service professional detail and the maintenance services that are offered at the car wash.

Just some well intentioned thoughts on the subject.

Regards
Bud Abraham

Last edited:

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Detailing is very much part of the vernacular.

Can't figure out if your question was really intended for me...

or simply a way to tee it up the conversation for you, Bud.

Okay, feel free to use this opportunity to achieve whatever it is you want.

Be well and stay happy!;)

-Steve

buda

Reaction score
Steve of course it was for you. I had to do some research before replying to your last post. As always, we can agree to disagree.

All the best,

Bud A

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Frustrating Word Games

No problem, Bud.

In the past, a lot of time was wasted in carwash and detailing diatribe. As you know, emotions ran high and everyone grew tired of the jousting... with both audiences and players.

Harkening way back to the mindless rants of "brushless" proponents with hidden sales agendas that left a wake of stupid statements and a litany of misinformation within as well as outside the industry. :eek:

So, when it seemed like the conversation was shifting to philosophize on "detailing", I recalled the axiomatic question: "Some days, you're the hammer... and some days, the nail." I wanted neither.

No offense was ever intended. My genuine feelings about the terminology in question were concisely stated. So, I simply chose not to participate. As a result, I wished you well (as I sincerely meant)... and moved on. ;)

No disagreement. Just a timely exit.