What's new

FRP Panels

Etowah

Noob

Reaction score
I’m going to replace the FRP panels at the wash. For you guys that have previously done this, what is the best way? My current panels are riveted in. By looking at my panels it doesn’t appear that the rivets are evenly placed/symmetrical on each panel. Should I pull each panel off and overlay it on top of a new panel and trace drill the holes? That should keep me from having to drill new holes into block.

MEP001

Reaction score
If they're the plastic rivets, you may be able to get them out. If they're metal, you almost definitely won't.

You'd have to get things really accurate to reuse the holes. I'd be afraid to try. I always have trouble doing stuff like that.

Noob

Reaction score
They are plastic rivets. You would drill new holes in the block for the new rivets?

MEP001

Reaction score
I'd drill out the pin and use a screw and hammer to extract them, then reuse the hole.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I would drill out rivet an try and use old panel as template for holes in new panel and re use the hole. You might get lucky f prior install drilled multiple panels one time. Remove several panels - lay them on top of each other and see if holes line up.

Noob

Reaction score
Do you guys have any suggestions on rivets? Are the nylon rivets from Lowe’s or Home Depot ok? I read in an older forum people were recommending fastenal rivets.

Randy

Reaction score
How many bays do you have to do? Back in the day when we did these kinds of things we made a template from a 4’ x 8’ sheet of ¼” plywood. We would drill 5 or 6 sheets at one time, we drilled the holes 3/8’ to allow for a little movement. You want to leave a little space between the center dividers to allow for panel to expand and contract. Where are you buying your FRP paneling from? There are different grades so you want to be sure your getting FRP panels that are UV protected or there’ll yellow in no time. I think it’s going to extremely time consuming to try and remove the old rivet and reuse the holes. You want to use a good rotary hammer drill for drilling the holes in the concrete. 3 of us could install the FRP paneling on a 4 bay car wash in a day. How bad are you current walls? Have you tried to clean with "Nu Wall"

MEP001

Reaction score
Do you guys have any suggestions on rivets? Are the nylon rivets from Lowe’s or Home Depot ok? I read in an older forum people were recommending fastenal rivets.
The cheap rivets degrade from UV and will just fall off.

Noob

Reaction score
Mine are 20 plus years old. They look awful are beyond chemical clean up. Several of the dividers are busting. I don’t think they were ever cleaned before I took the wash over.

Randy

Reaction score
Can you post a picture of your paeling? How many bays do you have? Who are you buying your FRP paneling from?

Noob

Reaction score
I was going to buy them from Lowe’s. Should I purchase somewhere else? I’ll send some photos tomorrow.

MEP001

Reaction score
There are brands that are far better than what they sell at Lowe's, more stain resistant, spray paint resistant, less prone to cracking.

Randy

Reaction score
I was going to buy them from Lowe’s. Should I purchase somewhere else? I’ll send some photos tomorrow.
I believe this is where we purchased the FRP paneling we used. https://marlite.com/wall-panels/service-wall-panels/standard-frp/ I think it’s been about 25 years. I personally like the smooth paneling over the pebbled paneling. We’ve since replaced the FRP paneling with Extrutech paneling https://epiplastics.com/industries/car-wash-industry/ the only problem with Extrutech it’s easy to punch a hole in it.

Noob

Reaction score
Have you had any holes punched in your paneling? That’s the thing that really concerns me about extrutech. Are your walls block? If so how did you attach the panels to block? Any idea what the price difference is vs FRP?

Jim64

Reaction score
I’m about to replace some FRP That is twenty years old In self serve bays. It has served me well and I can acid wash it and it looks like I gave my pig a bath. I’m leaning toward the wall panels from Delpro. Can anyone give me a good reason not to use the wall panels. I was also wandering how easy are repairs if needed.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
. I’m leaning toward the wall panels from Delpro. Can anyone give me a good reason not to use the wall panels. I was also wandering how easy are repairs if needed.
FWIW I have no experience with Del Pro. Issue with any hollow core product is possible denting and holes. Issue with smooth surface in SS Bay is it lends itself to Graffiti scratchers which a pebble finish makes more difficult.

Noob

Reaction score
Can hollow core panels be easily replaced?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Can hollow core panels be easily replaced?
Everything is easy when someone else does it. The ones spotlighted have a hidden fastener system which requires a certain amount of finesse.

Jim64

Reaction score
Does anybody have any pictures of any 5 year old wall panels in a self serve bay? I’ve got some 20 year old FRP and it looks like ass. I don’t have a lot of vandalism , but people do stupid stuff. I’ve been told that the newer stuff is better than it was as far as holes. Any picture of self serve wall panels appreciated.

edredtop

Reaction score
Have you had any holes punched in your paneling? That’s the thing that really concerns me about extrutech. Are your walls block? If so how did you attach the panels to block? Any idea what the price difference is vs FRP?
A rogue hammer in a homeless person's hand or a razor blade or knife scratching graffiti would be mine too. Then if somebody spray paints over a knife scratch the paints stays in the low spots like a tattoo. I also wonder how it reacts to a butane lighter/torch that the tweakers use for their meth?
It really sucks thinking like a Debbie Downer but reality bites you hard around here.
It sure looks like a nice product.