What's new

Fried a pump motor?

DbltheBbls

Reaction score
I'm not an electrician so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

The Rinse on one of my SS bays was'nt getting much flow so I
checked the contactor and the piece in the center of it that moves in and out as it turns the pump on and off was stuck in the on position (in) I shut the power off on that bay and switched it out for a new one, it was clearly burnt,and when I turned the power back on that center piece was sort of vibrating in and out and you could see the electricity arcing. Shut the power off again and put another one in, same thing. So what's my next step? Could the electric pump motor be shot? Anything beyond simple parts replacing when it comes to electricity and I'll need to get an electrician out to look at it.
Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
It's not likely the motor - it sounds like the contactor isn't getting full or solid power, or the contactor coil is the wrong voltage. Make sure you didn't get a 24V DC coil contactor, since the control voltage of self-serve equipment is usually 24V AC.

DbltheBbls

Reaction score
It's not likely the motor - it sounds like the contactor isn't getting full or solid power, or the contactor coil is the wrong voltage. Make sure you didn't get a 24V DC coil contactor, since the control voltage of self-serve equipment is usually 24V AC.
After I pulled the fried contactor out, I installed a new one. When I turned the power to the bay back on thats when I saw the arcing and the contactor jiggling in and out. I then pulled a contactor off a working bay and tried that one but had the same result. Both contactors (the new one and the one i pulled off a different bay) work on other bays. I'm going to check the fusebox to make sure the fuse is seated properly, and other than switching out the motor thats pretty much as far as I can take this without spending some $ on a service call that I'd like to avoid if possible.

Reaction score
After I pulled the fried contactor out, I installed a new one. When I turned the power to the bay back on thats when I saw the arcing and the contactor jiggling in and out. I then pulled a contactor off a working bay and tried that one but had the same result. Both contactors (the new one and the one i pulled off a different bay) work on other bays. I'm going to check the fusebox to make sure the fuse is seated properly, and other than switching out the motor thats pretty much as far as I can take this without spending some $ on a service call that I'd like to avoid if possible.
Are you saying when you turn the breaker on the starter coil starts jumping in and out? It should only pull in when a hp function is called from the bay, have you checked your to see if you have 24v at the starter. You can also disconect the coil and push the starter in to see if the pump motor starts.

MEP001

Reaction score
It sounds like something sending power to the contactor that shouldn't be, and not sending it 100% of the time. It's not the motor - a fried motor would just not run or would run briefly and trip the breaker or thermal overload, but it won't cause the contactor to chatter when you turn the breaker on. It's probably time to call a tech who knows self-serve equipment, or an electrician (It's been my experience that electricians can't figure out the low-voltage side of a car wash).

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
(It's been my experience that electricians can't figure out the low-voltage side of a car wash).
Mep001 that is so true.