What's new

Freeze Stat / Trough Heat Stat

washregal

Reaction score
Hello - I have been using the following -
Honeywell Modulating Temperature Controller T991A1061 Remote Bulb 160 to 260°F Analog Heat Only

These have been problematic for me as every year it is a hit or miss with the thermal sensor - will it read 38 degrees this year when set or will it actually be 30 when I set it at 38 - very precarious - and never exact - also not as robust as I believe it should be in outdoor environments -

I have also used the digital units on other applications that I like to be able to set at a temp and let roll - What is the feedback on colder climate areas for temperature stats that are #1 Reliable year over year - +/- a degree or two - and also #2 robust enough for harsh outdoor cold weather car wash environments - I welcome any and all feedback

MEP001

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find one new, but a lot of older washes around here have the Honeywell thermostat with an internal sensing coil. I don't know if they're rated for outdoors, but I see them mounted outdoors out of direct rain, 20 to 40 years old and still working and accurate. The best part of these is it has a 2° variation where most of the remote bulb units are 5°. That means if you set your weep to come on at 35° F, it won't shut off until it comes up above 40°.

I've used this unit almost exclusively and it fits your criteria:

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score

I’ve been installing these little guys for years. They're sold by several eBayers.
10Amp relay contacts will handle most applications
110 VAC powers them up.

They're durable, accurate, and very inexpensive.

Several installations to monitor and energize trough heat...
These two are at least 15 years old!
IMG_1009.jpg trough control.JPG

I’ve even installed them as slabstats to control floor heat systems.
Splicing longer wires to the sensors doesn't seem to affect accuracy.
IMG_1174.jpg IMG_1515.jpg

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I just use the weepmizer output 2 with a relay for heat cable in the trough.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I use Johnson Controls A419, mounted inside the ER. The only part that is outside is the temp probe.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score

I’ve been installing these little guys for years. They're sold by several eBayers.
10Amp relay contacts will handle most applications
110 VAC powers them up.

They're durable, accurate, and very inexpensive.

Several installations to monitor and energize trough heat...
These two are at least 15 years old!
View attachment 5167 View attachment 5170

I’ve even installed them as slabstats to control floor heat systems.
Splicing longer wires to the sensors doesn't seem to affect accuracy.
View attachment 5168 View attachment 5171

CB80 turned me on to these Ebay T-stat controllers a few years ago. I had battled the thermal discs for years that turned on the coin box heaters in the winter...So I decided to use this digital T-stat Controller to power a separate circuit that controlled all my coin box heaters...I also incorporated (2) n/o-n/c sequencers where one sequencer controls 2 bays, minimizing load on the transformer and saving power, although minimal. When temp reaches 36°, the controller energizes the N/C contacts of the sequencers and 2 bays heat the boxes for 10 minutes. Then the sequencers switch to N/O and heat the other 2 bays for 10 minutes....The Logic is only (2) bays can be energized at one time. The sequencers are infinitely adjustable, and so is the controller. Pretty neat little setup that works while removing load off the bay transformers...The other (4) din rail mounted switches are 1amp breakers for each bay....

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Ha! Thats funny...I have a 25" Die Cutter I make my signs with....The Marker must have been more handy that day! I'm pretty OCD too....But sometimes you have Lapses!