What's new

Freeze protection on IBA

sparkey

Reaction score
Those of you using the polar freeze guard or a home made version of the air purge then purge with antifreeze system, have any of you done this successfully on a automatic touchless machine? I have an old superwash automatic that I am thinking of trying this on. My only concern is with so many nozzles that some of them won't get blown out properly.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I don't use that system or a homemade one for my touch-less. What has worked for me so far is keeping the frosted airlift doors closed and floor heat on throughout the cold days of winter. My bay runs north-south, so I'm fortunate to catch the winter sun along the exit side of the bay which helps keep the bay warm.

Doesn't answer your question, but If I had to blow down my nozzles I would turn on blow down after a wash, watch the nozzles and time how long it takes for all of them to no longer spit out water. Then that's how long I'd run mine if I needed too. Hope that helps a little bit?

sparkey

Reaction score
I know doors would work, but I would rather do a blow down if it would work on an automatic.

lag

Reaction score
I have created air blow down systems for the company's washes. All inverted L style. Been running different variations for twenty years now. First ones were just a couple relays, timers and solenoids, second generations I use a programmable relay. Used both Siemens Logo! And teco brands. you also need to add some check valves.

lag

Reaction score
We run washworld high volicity and razors. When really cold the bottom one on the arm may freeze some, I also have added a second purge to push out the water that can run down to the bottom nozzle.

BBE

Reaction score
Lag,

The blow down systems have been reliable and successful for you for inverted L machines?

lag

Reaction score
thank you for asking. I'm in upper Midwest, and have extremely good luck with our systems. we do run at least one door down at all time, on our bays. on our razors we run both doors down,i have not created a system that will allow us to purge out all the lines on the lava, and then refill when calling for lava to come on. the underbody ,arm and flexpass pods I do use my system. feel free to send me a pm, and would be happy to elaborate if I can. as I said been running them for 20 years now...
Lag,

The blow down systems have been reliable and successful for you for inverted L machines?

sparkey

Reaction score
We run washworld high volicity and razors. When really cold the bottom one on the arm may freeze some, I also have added a second purge to push out the water that can run down to the bottom nozzle.
What is your timing like? How long on each air purge, and how long between purges? Do you inject antifreeze or just purge with air?

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
What about just using a Dixmor weep mizer? Then adjusting the purge times? The weep mizer can also control 2 solenoids. I have looked at the polar and the main difference is the polar will only purge after the bay was in use (I believe). The dixmor will just purge according to the program.... basically what I was doing with water anyway.

lag

Reaction score
What is your timing like? How long on each air purge, and how long between purges? Do you inject antifreeze or just purge with air?
On the high volicitys I purge for 30-35 seconds, wait 45 seconds the hit them with a short 10 second or so purge for a second time.
I have never injected any anti freeze into the system.

Timing is something to play with however we have 80 gallon tanks on our compressor, if you have smaller may need to let it catch up before second purge.

lag

Reaction score
I should add. On the older ones without the programmable relay as a controller I just use a single blow down. These systems just have a couple timers and a couple relays.

wash4me

Reaction score
I have created air blow down systems for the company's washes. All inverted L style. Been running different variations for twenty years now. First ones were just a couple relays, timers and solenoids, second generations I use a programmable relay. Used both Siemens Logo! And teco brands. you also need to add some check valves.
Is this kit available to purchase and if not what signal is used to start the blowdown?