What's new

Freeze coming tonight and I don’t have a weep system.

RustyD123

Reaction score
We only have freezing weather between 7 & 14 days in a typical year here in NE Texas. I just bought a 2 bay carwash to help the community. It’s not going to make much money. Can I get by with running a heater in the equipment room and shutdown the business when it’s freezing?

MEP001

Reaction score
Can I get by with running a heater in the equipment room and shutdown the business when it’s freezing?
Yes, but you really need something to keep the lines and manifolds in the bays from freezing or you'll have broken fittings. A quick solution for tonight would be to disconnect the lines at the pumps and blow air through them.

Randy

Reaction score
We installed a “T” on the main water line with a valve on the down leg of the “T”, this makes it real easy to blow down the car wash. When we close down during freezing weather we turn off the power to the equipment, close the incoming water supply valve, and connect air to the valve on the “T” blow air into the water system to move the water out of the high pressure lines. I suggest you pump -20 degree windshield washer fluid into the water as you are not going to be able to blow all of the water out of the water hoses, to many low spots and valleys in the hoses. Your Foam brush, presoak and any other low pressure system you have you’re going to have to drain your tanks and start the pump and pump -20 degree windshield washer into those systems so they don’t freeze. We’ve got it down so we can shut down the car in freezing weather in less than 10 minutes and have it reopened in less than 5 minutes, it’s all about being prepared. We have everything we need to shut down the car wash staged in a buckets ready to go up in the attic, 5 gallons of -20 degree windshield washer fluid, it's $1.78 at Walmart, a Flojet pump, hoses, fittings that we might need.

MEP001

Reaction score
We can't even get -20° washer fluid here. It would have to be RV antifreeze.

Etowah

Randy

Reaction score
RV antifreeze will work. If you’re proactive you could get the -20 washer fluid shipped in to your local Walmart. Your local Auto parts store should be able to get for you.

RustyD123

Reaction score
Guess what? I went by tonight to open the lines and found the guns crying like babies! Or weeping. This must be an old school weep system. Thanks for your help. I have been really lucky so far.
I bought the place ran down then shut down for almost two years after the old owner died. I paid $34,000 sight unseen. When I powered it up, only the wash and rinse worked. After replacing two latches on the two vacuums, fixing a few lines, a few fittings, opening up new buckets of cleaner, and trying to guess how the air mixes, etc, I have two vacuums, and two self serve bays with tire/engine cleaner, presoak, foam brush, wash, and rinse. I think the wax separated and isn’t effective anymore. It has a layer floating on top. I hope the soap, etc isn’t mixed too strong. It’s set up for $1.50 for approximately 5 minutes.
My next project is getting card readers or a change machine. It’s a 1987 carwash with possibly the original equipment.
I really appreciate the help. I know nothing about the carwash business.

Attachments

Randy

Reaction score
That's a very old school weep system. I last saw one of those back in the 80's. If it still works and your happy with it go for it. Same applies for the equipment if it works, does what it's supposed to do keep it runs as long as you can. Self serve car washes aren't rocket science.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Even if you have a lot of nights above freezing but in the mid 30s you'll benefit from the weepmizer, especially if you have expensive water and sewer. The weepmizer cuts on a 37 but only runs around seven seconds per minute at that temp, whereas your refrigeration thermostat will run continuously.

RustyD123

Reaction score
That's a very old school weep system. I last saw one of those back in the 80's. If it still works and your happy with it go for it. Same applies for the equipment if it works, does what it's supposed to do keep it runs as long as you can. Self serve car washes aren't rocket science.
Yep. Built in 1987
Coin slot with no audible time warning or visible time display. I need to upgrade that asap.

RustyD123

Reaction score
Even if you have a lot of nights above freezing but in the mid 30s you'll benefit from the weepmizer, especially if you have expensive water and sewer. The weepmizer cuts on a 37 but only runs around seven seconds per minute at that temp, whereas your refrigeration thermostat will run continuously.
I saw those. Is Kleenrite the best place to get equipment and soaps?

RustyD123

Reaction score
Its a thermostat hooked to a solenoid. In colder climates we use a weepmizer, which you can see at dixmor.com.
Sounds like you know a lot. Is this where I’m supposed to adjust the pressure? One of my Cat pumps are blowing 1300 psi and is a little heavy on the wrist.

Attachments

Randy

Reaction score
Sounds like you know a lot. Is this where I’m supposed to adjust the pressure? One of my Cat pumps are blowing 1300 psi and is a little heavy on the wrist.
Turn the brass nut on top of the Paraplate regulator counter clock wise to lower the pressure. Kleen-rite is a good place to buy your supplies ann parts or Car wash supply in South Houston.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Also Windtrax in Missouri & Dultmeier in Omaha have been worthwhile parts sources. It looks like Sonny's had gotten bigger a ways back ... not sure about the implications of that. There are times where you might want to use other non carwash specific suppliers also. Etowah Valley in North Carolina is a goto depending on equipment preferred. Not sure how many of the manufacturers insist on only selling through distributors ... don't rule out others after seeing what they have!

Free shipping offers IMHO definitely should be a factor!

MEP001

Reaction score
The regulator with the rusted stem needs to be replaced right away.

Are the wands coated with green plastic with the ends bent down a little? A lot of washes in Texas have those. It makes the pressure feel a lot stronger. 1300 PSI should be easily controlled unless the tip is way too big. 1200 PSI with a 2506 tip is plenty to clean a car.

RustyD123

Reaction score
The regulator with the rusted stem needs to be replaced right away.

Are the wands coated with green plastic with the ends bent down a little? A lot of washes in Texas have those. It makes the pressure feel a lot stronger. 1300 PSI should be easily controlled unless the tip is way too big. 1200 PSI with a 2506 tip is plenty to clean a car.
I’ll check those. What regulator are you referring to? What wands do you recommend for comfort?