What's new

Free Vacs

Gabriel

Reaction score
I have noticed lately in our area that some of the Automatic and SS Washes are putting up Free Vac signs. They are facing the competition of Mini Tunnels that offer Free Vacs, so I suppose that they are trying to attract more traffic with the matched offer. Have any of you seen this happening in your area. Most of the Washes offering free Vacs are the really nice Automatic/SS well run Washes. What you say?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If push came to shove, I still would try NOT to offer free vacs.

Instead, I would try a different promotion or way of making my carwash better.

I think an idea of a safety check came up somewhere. An attendant could check simple things like tire pressure, lights an wipers for free.

Vacs are high margin. I can't afford to give them away.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Gator,

I understand how some of the tunnels do the free vac thing at their exit with and exit only gate. How are these SS and IBAs doing the free vacs? Are they just pulling their coin mechs out or are they offering free tokens for every wash?

I built my own air-machine and charge 25cents to use it for 2 minutes. The gas bar is free. I get the odd complaint and then I show them the big commercial compressor that provides the air, the fact that we dry our air and the high quality parts we use. Then they understand that when they drop a quarter in my coin box they are getting value. Most of the time the customer doesn't care or realizes that my air machine always works! It's getting used more and more and I noticed that the gas bar's machine is out of service more and more. I guess what I'm saying is that free is not always good and the kind of customer I want to attract gets that.

BigLeo

dclark3344

Reaction score
My closest new competitor (8ss/2auto) started the free vac thing to match the express tunnel down the street where you can just drive in and use the free vacs. He started this in the spring and kept it up for over a year. I stayed my ground and focused on quality and customer satisfaction. He finally sold it and the new owner saw the light and put the coin boxes and locks back on the vacs. I actually had customers that would go to his wash and use the free vacs then come to mine and wash. I would tease the competitor about all the drive way washers he was accomodating. I say most people are willing to pay a fair price for a good value service. I did start giving away free air and I have kiddy rides that are free, but you will pay for the services that my business is all about.

Wally

Reaction score
dclark, when I read kiddy rides, the first thing I thought about was liability.

dclark3344

Reaction score
Wally,
I had some reservations at first and started charging $.25 when I first got them. I have a very wide drive between the vacs and the bays, so people are continually flying thru to turn around. I wanted something to entertain the kids at the vac Islands and try and keep them out of the drive area so I installed a push button that gives credits. It has been a great customer convience and now I rank with McDonalds, Burger King, and Chickfila. I have customers tell me that the kids always want to come here. Cha Ching$$$$ I do not think that the kids are interested in free vacs LOL I just love to start good habits with young families of coming to my carwash and lets not forget about the grandparents.

JustClean

Reaction score
Wally,
I had some reservations at first and started charging $.25 when I first got them. I have a very wide drive between the vacs and the bays, so people are continually flying thru to turn around. I wanted something to entertain the kids at the vac Islands and try and keep them out of the drive area so I installed a push button that gives credits. It has been a great customer convience and now I rank with McDonalds, Burger King, and Chickfila. I have customers tell me that the kids always want to come here. Cha Ching$$$$ I do not think that the kids are interested in free vacs LOL I just love to start good habits with young families of coming to my carwash and lets not forget about the grandparents.
Do you have a picture or a website of your kiddy ride and how much did you pay for it? Is it out in the open?
cheers

mac

Reaction score
Whoever cameup with the concept of free vacs was smoking something much better than I've got. Let's see, median cost of a wash, probably 800K to 1,500K, then give away your most used service. Where is the payback? I know of a local 5 and 1 that set up a 15 HP central vac with 6 drops and gave it for free. Lasted about a year when he found out that a wash 1/4 mile away was taking in 1,500/mo in vac revenue.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I hate cleaning out the vacs, worst job on the lot. Now if I were giving the vac service away for free, then I'd REALLY hate cleaning them out. I personally do not see the advantage of giving them away. If you're a tunnel, then that is a great draw for customers. When you're a self serve, I don't see the advantage.

However, I wouldn't mind rewarding customers going through my automatics who by the top package with a free vac. I see the draw there, but not for self serve.

(just my own opinion)

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
that's when tokens are ideal; giving a free vac is as simple as giving a dollar token.

then the customer can also choose armorall, or $1 off an iba or ss carwash.

when looking at the profit margin of all carwash equipment, vacs are some of the most purely profitable equipment. That fact makes me enjoy cleaning out my vacs.:D

Jim L.

Florida panhandle
Reaction score
I hate cleaning out the vacs, worst job on the lot. Now if I were giving the vac service away for free, then I'd REALLY hate cleaning them out. I personally do not see the advantage of giving them away. If you're a tunnel, then that is a great draw for customers. When you're a self serve, I don't see the advantage.
I completely agree.

I ate lunch one day last year next to a double automatic which offered free vacs. About half of the customers came in to vac and dump trash only?No wash. These are not the people I would want patronizing my wash.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Exclude motorists that wash their own vehicle because they enjoy or prefer to, as in wand-bay, and you are left with a majority of motorists. In this group, a smaller portion will purchase on the basis of convenience and value and a larger portion will value these attributes but price will be more important. Inject express exterior into an area that is predominately self-service and it becomes obvious why the format works.

Express solves the customer?s problem quickly with less waiting and a low base price. It provides a higher quality than in-bay and wand-bay relative to the overall time. Free vacuums, wiping towels and window cleaner provide additional value. Customers can acquire these attributes at an overall lower price than can be purchased at a self-service. This offer is not only an attractive in its own right it also creates the opportunity for self-service users to cross over.

Competing against ?free? is difficult but not impossible. I have been doing it for years. Sonny?s and ICA offer free advice on their websites. Sonny?s boasts that it charges zero for consulting services. Of course, everyone knows that nothing is really free. Distributors get paid for this through the price paid for equipment, installation and inventory.

I compete on the basis of value because I charge a fee. I provide services that are far more in-depth using state-of-the-art methods and procedures. Moreover, the customer receives unbiased and objective opinion by an independent third-party.

Similarly, self-service competing against express would benefit by competing on value (improving the offer) rather than price or ?free.? This could include things like giving more time on vacuums, offering more payment options, improving the quality and/or capacity of in-bay, using higher quality chemicals, offering ?green? products, converting in-bay to mini-tunnel, offering new services (i.e. express detail, service inspection) and promoting the offer.

mac

Reaction score
Well I've decided on a way to compete with free vacs. Don't know if it will work, but here it is. Offer to pay the customer, say 0.50, if they come and use your vac. Beats the crap out of free. Why the customer makes money ! Think of the good press you'll get. Then imagine how the free vac places will compete with that. The possibilities are endless. Will let you know how it works.