What's new

Fragramatics fragrance machine help.

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
I have been having some problems with my fragrance machine the last few weeks. People have complained that it is not working. I would go to the machine and put in another quarter and it would take right off. The first few, I assumed were just trying to screw me, but the problem persisted. I could drop 3 quarters in the mech, and it works. I can also manually cycle the coin counter and it works. Every once in awhile it just seems to skip an input from the coin counter. I switched the DIP switches back and forth on the timer the other day and hadn't had any complaints for a few days, thinking maybe the timer contacts were getting dirty or corroded. Had a lady stop in today saying it was still not working. My question is, do I start by replacing the coin counter, or should I be looking at the timer?

Thanks,
Lighthouse

madscientist

Reaction score
Can you explain "not working"?

Does it not turn on? Does it turn on but not spray anything? Is it the Vacuum or the Fragrance that's not working? Or both?

MEP001

Reaction score
Chances are it's the coin acceptor or just the micro-switch.

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
The machine will not start at all. It's a stand alone fragrance machine, so no vacuum. I suspected the micro switch, but everytime I manually cycle the micro switch, it works. I guess the switch is probably going to be the cheaper part to change first.

Lighthouse.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
The machine will not start at all. It's a stand alone fragrance machine, so no vacuum. I suspected the micro switch, but everytime I manually cycle the micro switch, it works. I guess the switch is probably going to be the cheaper part to change first.

Lighthouse.
I can only guess that manualy cycling the switch gives a better pulse than the coin dropping. Can you see if the coin is moving the little wire on the switch thru the same range of motion as when you do it manualy? Can you put a continuity meter on the coin switch terminals and see if it registers with a coin drop. Perhaps you simply need to adjust the wire that the coin pushes to activate the switch. Sometimes they get out of wack.

MEP001

Reaction score
There's also an adjustable stop to set the coin size relative to the wire rather than bending it. Sometimes over years of vibration the screw that holds it in place vibrates loose and the adjustment gets out of whack. In any case, replacing the Cherry switch is a logical first approach.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Those mechanical coin mech's are so cheap that now I just replace them. I used to spend the time changing the switch, adjusting the wire, cleaning, adjusting and troubleshooting. A much better use of my time.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Those mechanical coin mech's are so cheap that now I just replace them. I used to spend the time changing the switch, adjusting the wire, cleaning, adjusting and troubleshooting. A much better use of my time.
Lighthouse,

Depending on size of opening, hookup & longevity factors --- I would be leaning towards going with an electronic coin drop. We replaced all our vacuum drops with electronic so we could take both dollar coins & quarters & the reliability factor is also a bonus. Some actually allow you to set the pulse length even.

MJ

Washmechanic

Washmechanic, Ibas. ss,
Reaction score
I agree completely with MJWalsh. We have 11 vacs at two locations and four years ago we started switching to electronic mechs. a couple at a time. It's a little pricie, about $100 per unit, but well worth it. Would highly recommend it.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I would also consider making them all relay type (instead of transistor). Avoids potential problems with coin switch circuits locking up.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I would also consider making them all relay type (instead of transistor). Avoids potential problems with coin switch circuits locking up.
I have been gradually switching mine to electronic also. I use the Ginsan 403 timer when I do so no relay or transformer is required. All I need is the timer, coin acceptor and vac motors.

I don't understand "coin switch circuits locking up". I use a fuse on the load line after the timer in an effort to not blow the timer if it overamped. Would this accomplish the same thing you are talking about?