What's new

Fragramatics door decal

Wally

Reaction score
I'm starting to replace my door decals on my combo vacs and do away with the oil in the display and replace it with water and food coloring. What a mess. I am so tired of that oil. The bubblers have been turned off for several years but the oil still oozes out. The decal was fairly easy to get off, it's the glue residue that is the problem. I've been using mineral spirits and lacquer thinner but it is a slow go. Does anybody have a better idea? I'm thinking to be totally oil free I will have to go to the water based fragrance. I've always though that the water base wouldn't last as long in the car as the oil base. Am I wrong about this?

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I use grafitti remover from Windtrax to remove decal residue. I don't know if it will work any better than what you are using though.

I also always thought that the oil based fragrances lasted longer so that is what I use. Plus they don't freeze in the winter.

Randy

Reaction score
Wally,
I use a torch to help loosen the old decal and then clean the glue residue with lacquer thinner or MEK. When you use a torch you don’t want to burn the decal, just warm it up enough to help peel it off.

I think that anything you put in place of the Colored bubblers is going to be a major improvement over what Fragramatics uses, even the LED retro kit they use now leaves a lot to be desired. I think if someone came up with something that was better they could sell a lot of them.

The oil base fragrance lasts a lot longer than the water based fragrance. At least that’s been our experience.

Twodose

Reaction score
Use Xylol, Put xylol heavy on a cloth, use a razor blade to scrape off glue, wait about 30 seconds till the glue starts to soften then keep scraping and applying xylol till it is gone, If it is good glue, and is on thick, you may have to take off in layers, but you will be able to get it completely off.

Use nitrile gloves. I would not use xylol on anything but SS.

wendy's wash

Reaction score
I use a spray called Brakleen. It's made by CRC. Cost about 4 a can. Will do about 4 doors per can. You spray a little coat on the glue. Within seconds the glus becomes soft. I use a razor blade knife with the swing out arm. The razor holder is used to remove inspection stickers on windshield. Harbor freight sells them for 3-4 dollars. Press firmly and move up the door. The glue is picked up on knife. Wipe off on paper towel. I use to buy this cleaner from Wal-mart but they quit selling it. Their are 2 types. One evaporates quick and that is the one you want. It is in the red can. The second one is water base in a blue can and I do not know if it will work. I would stay with the oil base, as it seems to last alot longer.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Posted this before
http://www.youtube.com/user/EarlWeiss#p/u/9/G5uQQNsAYVU

Used it on my Colemans and JE Adams/ 3 foot rope light and Flashing controller from Novelty lights.com. About $30.00 total . Someone suggested using the color translucent sheet dividers from an office superstore inside the tubes. Good idea.

MEP001

Reaction score
I used to use the CRC Brakleen, but I don't like how it evaporates so fast, plus it contains a carcinogen and it will eat most plastics. 3M Adhesive Cleaner works much better and doesn't dry too fast. I use that along with a razor scraper - you just wet the adhesive and scrape it right off. I've used a torch to soften the decal to make it easier to scrape it off, and that lets most of the adhesive come off with it. That makes it easier to finish up the job.

toddmullens

Reaction score
Posted this before
http://www.youtube.com/user/EarlWeiss#p/u/9/G5uQQNsAYVU

Used it on my Colemans and JE Adams/ 3 foot rope light and Flashing controller from Novelty lights.com. About $30.00 total . Someone suggested using the color translucent sheet dividers from an office superstore inside the tubes. Good idea.
I posted about the translucent sheet dividers in a previous thread and they have been working out extremely well and it was cheap, about $1 per vac. As far as removing the glue, I have had good luck with "goof off" spray gel. The gel seems to work better. WD-40 also works well or any type of spray similar. Still have to use a razor blade though to get the balls of glue off!

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
We just rebuilt a 5yr old Fragramatics combo unit. New decals, replaced the leaking display, etc. We also installed a new hose, pistol grip because the old one was weather checked and the outer cover was breaking off leaving strands of wire sticking out. My question is that the new pistol doesnt have an button on it, so the thing sprays constantly when the fragrance function is on. I'm not sure why it came from Fragramatics without a button, but were we supposed to drill out the handle and transfer the button from the other pistol grip? Do any of you have one without an on/off button on the gun?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
The older ones don't have a button. I have some combos that I am re-doing. Jim @ Etowah has made a complete new door with a rotary switch (and no freaking bubbler!!!). I will replace the button style on mine with the buttonless ones since the machine will have a "stop" position on the dial.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
When I order the gun/hose assy, they ask me if it is a stand alone unit or a combo vac. They told me that the stand alone units don't have buttons and the combo vacs do.

I have both and that is what I see on my equipment. I have used one for the other if I need to replace one and don't have the correct one with me.