What's new

Fragrace machine Problem with Peristaltic Pump

bigleo48

Reaction score
I have a Doyle 5in1 combo vac (fresh impressions) that uses peristaltic pumps to dispense the fragrances. Since I had to replaced the worn rubber tubes, I noticed that the fragrance chemicals seem to be slowly destroying the tubes (they get really soft and only last but a couple of weeks). These tubes come from Fragramatics and are likely the wrong tubes as they are for the shampoos and so perhaps not the fragrances.

Can anyone enlighten me on where I can get the right tubes (Doyle did not respond to my messages). Either that or I will retrofit the unit like my other fragramatics fragrance machine that does not use these pumps.

Thanks in advance! BigLeo

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Most likely the fragrances contain alcohol and that is what is ruining the rubber tubes.

bmills

Reaction score
correct tubing for peristaltic pump

I believe that you will actually need silicone rubber tubing and not natural rubber or plastic.

The tubing diameter is also critical since the pinch rollers are designed for a specific, "squish" distance.

My best source locally in Colorado was a medical supply store.

Good luck

bigleo48

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far, but I'm not sure were there....

First, the tubes are the exact ones for that pump and for one of the fragrances I installed a new pump (with tube). So sizes are correct.

Second, these tubes are also used for the winter shampoos and spot remover that contain alchool...and they are fine. Also, my fragrances are oil based, so I think that's how they prevent it from freezing...not alcohol.

BigLeo

Doyle Vacuum

Reaction score
BigLeo:

I don't recall having any inquiries from you regarding the tubing - Sorry if you did not get a response.

The tubing that comes in the original pumps, and that we use for replacement tubing is Neoprene. This material has shown to have a good combination of mechanical and chemical durability.

It is the "oil" in the fragrances and the glycol in the "winter" shampoo and spot remover that attack the tubing from a chemical perspective. The constant squeezing of the pump rollers attacks the tubing mechanically.

That being said, you should not be having tube failures as quickly as you stated. The tubing I.D. and O.D. are critical to the pump performance - they must me exact if you expect to have optimum life on the tubes.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

MEP001

Reaction score
I would probably retrofit the machines to eliminate the pumps. I didn't like their trigger sprayers anyway and couldn't wait to get rid of them in favor of the Fragramatics style. As long as the newer machines use the same compressor you should have more than enough airflow to draw plenty of fragrance.

Shane

Reaction score
Wow, what a timely thread. I have the same machine and one of my tubes in the pump needs to be replaced. I have called a few places and nobody has them. I am looking at the tube now. It has .187 x .375 TPE6ON NORPRENE on the side of it (and is only about 4" long).

BigLeo, I see you are also trying to find a place to get the tubes. Also, I am using the Kleen-Rite Oil base fragrances. I wonder if those will also cause trouble with the tubing that I have/replace with. My problem was that someone left the gun on the ground and it drained the (3 day old) gallon of Cherry fragrance. So I need to get another gallon of the stuff but I want to fix the draining problem too. Sorry to hijack your thread.

DoyleVacuums, Where can we get these tubes from? Do you have them available? Also will the KleenRight Oil based fragrances cause a problem?

Thanks!
Shane

jprb

Reaction score
A+ to Doyle Vacuum for great customer service. Nice to know that some manufacturers (or distributors) keep an eye out for problems on the forum. (I don't own any Doyle products, but I'll sure consider them!)

Thanks!
JPRB

bigleo48

Reaction score
It is the correct size tubing, but not neoprene. Can we buy some tubing from you (or somewhere else you know of?

Big Leo

BigLeo:

I don't recall having any inquiries from you regarding the tubing - Sorry if you did not get a response.

The tubing that comes in the original pumps, and that we use for replacement tubing is Neoprene. This material has shown to have a good combination of mechanical and chemical durability.

It is the "oil" in the fragrances and the glycol in the "winter" shampoo and spot remover that attack the tubing from a chemical perspective. The constant squeezing of the pump rollers attacks the tubing mechanically.

That being said, you should not be having tube failures as quickly as you stated. The tubing I.D. and O.D. are critical to the pump performance - they must me exact if you expect to have optimum life on the tubes.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Doyle Vacuum

Reaction score
We sell the tubing both in cut to length sections (approximately 9") or by the foot. Just contact us and we can get that for you right away.

As for the different chemical brands, I am not aware that any one in particular is better or worse in terms of the chemical deterioration of the tubing. FYI - we have always used the Blendco products.

bigleo48

Reaction score
This is what's happening to the tube...before an after a couple of weeks in service.

MEP001

Reaction score
It's obviously swelling due to chemical compatibility issues.

Doyle Vacuum

Reaction score
Yes - this is definitely swelling due to chemical incompatibility. Again, I would stress that the proper tubing is critical to the proper performance of the pumps.