What's new

Formulating textbook infrastructure... and would appreciate help!

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
I?ve been doing some research for a new book and would appreciate your help. Given the numerous venues that conduct detailing activities, I?m identifying and defining an operational profile of the various ways the detailing business goes to market.

Please offer comments, in formation, more entities, and any clarification you feel is needed for the reference material.

Here is a list of various types and formats under review:

Used Car Reconditioning refers to a detail operation that specializes in preparing used vehicles for remarketing, and often deals primarily with used car resellers. In addition to the traditional detailing services, shops that specialize in preparing vehicles for resale often provide minor paint and body restoration, simple upholstery repairs, and minor parts replacement.

Traditional Detailing, often called full service, is typically done in a fixed-location facility and the services run the gamut from a simple cleaning task to a comprehensive reconditioning of vehicle interior fiber and fabric along with rejuvenating the exterior paint finish and applying various paint correction techniques to remove blemishes and paint defects as well as restore the paint to a shiny result.

(continue)

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Mobile Detailing refers to a detail business that relies on mounting everything needed for the completion of detailing tasks on a mobile transport such as a self-contained truck or a pull-along trailer. This mode of business forsakes having the customer come to a fixed location for service.

Boutique Detailing refers to a small detailing enterprise specializing in comprehensive appearance-care services provided to a select and limited number of individuals at a fixed location. The niche marketing focus typically relates to a more meticulous level of care by proficient detailers who specializes in a wide array of appearance-care repairs that require exceptional skills accompanied by distinctive tools and technology.

Concierge Detailing utilizes an exclusive “on-call” relationship between a detailer and a select, limited clientele whereby service is provided on an as-needed basis anytime, anywhere and typically done via a mobile detailing unit that comes when called. The service is uniquely similar to a doctor’s house call or as-needed same-day office visit… and the fees for this elite customer service fit the on-demand nature of the request. Some fixed-location shops also have a dedicated mobile unit to serve this specific clientele on a choice-basis of “your place… or mine”.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Express Detailing is typically a quick, somewhat abbreviated detailing process most often utilized in conjunction with a full-service carwash operation and performed by carwash attendants. Low price points offer an incentive to carwash customers for either one-step orbital waxing or intensive interior cleaning.

Express After-Care is formulated to deliver high-performance detailing in a rapid-delivery format following a washing process. Optimized efficacy is achieved by utilizing a choice of two formats: static production cells or conveyorized moving-floor production line processing. This freestanding component is best combined with a conveyorized exterior washing & drying process for peak time-saving efficiency. Not limited to mere express detailing.

Rather now than later, I'm asking for your thoughts, recommendations, opinions and critique. Either post here for all the world to see… or contact me directly via email.

THANKS! ;)

-Steve

jfmoran

Reaction score
Auto Dealership Detail Management

Not sure where you would classify it Steve, but the better part of my 20 plus years in this industry has been spent working for and operating an auto detailing operation that manages the detail departments for auto dealerships (as many as 15 dealers at one time).

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
After I meditated last night a couple things popped into my head: Show Car [/B]detailing. Emergency Detailing (pet hit by a car and transported in vehicle, nosebleed, vomiting). Specialty Detailing: airplanes, Big Rigs, Boats.