What's new

Foot Valves failing

DRsuds

Reaction score
I’ve always used the Kleenrite plastic blue foot valves for my chemicals but they’ve been failing on me constantly these days. Even new ones I’ve just installed. Is this happening for anyone else or do I have bad luck? Does anyone have a brand that seems to fail less? They’re too expensive to be failing constantly. I’m not just talking about harsh chemicals, they’re failing on all my soaps.

DRsuds

Reaction score
I gave up on the Blue foot valves a few years ago and have been using a DEMA foot valve with good results.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-12...ic-1-4-in-foot-valve-with-check-strainer.aspx
I use these on my automatic, only issue I have with them is if they sit on the bottom of the barrels of some chemicals they clog on gunk or sediment. Maybe I’ll try putting these in some inlet screens. The price is definitely way better than the blue ones. Will they hold up to harsher chemicals like presoak concentrate and degreaser?

Randy

Reaction score
I use these on my automatic, only issue I have with them is if they sit on the bottom of the barrels of some chemicals they clog on gunk or sediment. Maybe I’ll try putting these in some inlet screens. The price is definitely way better than the blue ones. Will they hold up to harsher chemicals like presoak concentrate and degreaser?
To prevent the Hydrominder chemical hose from sucking up any scum or debris from the bottom of the barrel I take a 1" piece of gray conduit that is the same length as the drum is deep, put a stainless steel screw into the pipe about 3/4" inch from the end of the conduit, insert the hose into the gray conduit and the hose won't go past the screw. Don't use white PVC pipe, it'll get soft and deteriorate over time.

soonermajic

Reaction score
To prevent the Hydrominder chemical hose from sucking up any scum or debris from the bottom of the barrel I take a 1" piece of gray conduit that is the same length as the drum is deep, put a stainless steel screw into the pipe about 3/4" inch from the end of the conduit, insert the hose into the gray conduit and the hose won't go past the screw. Don't use white PVC pipe, it'll get soft and deteriorate over time.
Very good idea

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I don't know what happened to the foot valves that hydro sold but maybe around five years ago they started becoming very unreliable and I've had many fail right out of the bag. I now use these two-EPDM for waxes and nuetrals, viton for strong acids and alkalines. I wish there was an all in one. Some waxes will ruin a viton model pretty quickly. They look completely different so I don't get them mixed up. Although if you look carefully the color of the oring is different so if you buy the ones that look alike you don't get them mixed up. I also mark the viton ones with V with a sharpie. I've had decent luck with them.

Also- debris in the chemical bucket? I keep my container lids on, and if my supplier sent me asnything with "gunk" in it I'd complain pretty quickly and get a replacement.

Edit to add- the edpm model doesn't work with 1/2" line. All I use now is 1/4"

Last edited:

DRsuds

Reaction score
I came up with something similar a couple years ago. Not my best made one but it kept it off the bottom. I used much thinner conduit, I had extra laying around. I’ll probably just modify these if I can.

Attachments

DRsuds

Reaction score
I don't know what happened to the foot valves that hydro sold but maybe around five years ago they started becoming very unreliable and I've had many fail right out of the bag. I now use these two-EPDM for waxes and nuetrals, viton for strong acids and alkalines. I wish there was an all in one. Some waxes will ruin a viton model pretty quickly. They look completely different so I don't get them mixed up. Although if you look carefully the color of the oring is different so if you buy the ones that look alike you don't get them mixed up. I also mark the viton ones with V with a sharpie. I've had decent luck with them.

Also- debris in the chemical bucket? I keep my container lids on, and if my supplier sent me asnything with "gunk" in it I'd complain pretty quickly and get a replacement.

Edit to add- the edpm model doesn't work with 1/2" line. All I use now is 1/4"
The gunk isn’t an issue as much anymore. It seemed to mainly be my triple foams and I think it was because whoever set it up originally was pre-diluting before the hyrdominders. Our blue triple foam would accumulate blue flakes at the bottom. I’ve since changed it so that we don’t have to pre dilute and it also just saves time. Also sometimes stuff just falls in a drum. I’ll order some of these and try them. Thank you.

DRsuds

Reaction score
I came up with something similar a couple years ago. Not my best made one but it kept it off the bottom. I used much thinner conduit, I had extra laying around. I’ll probably just modify these if I can.
I know I’m the photo it looks like the foot valve would be touching the bottom anyways but that’s because I had pulled it out to replace it.