What's new

Foamers or No Foamers for Foam Brush

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I'm in the process of replacing poly tubing and foamers in the attic for all of the s.s bays and I remember a discussion a while ago about Foam Generators some people have them some people don't, what's are your thoughts on them now? I was looking at Mr Foamers products I like what I see and this is what I was considering but the price wowzers.

https://mrfoamer.com/product/twist-n-kleen-generator-foamer/

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Have you considered making your own? It would be a lot cheaper! About 2 years ago, I made mine out of 3/4 brass pipe with reducing caps on the ends for the push to connect fittings for the polytubing. I used the 3m stainless steel scrubber pad lightly stuffed inside the pipe. It has been one of those upgrades where you set it and forget it!

If you want to do some research before deciding, I documented the foam you can get from doing it this way. See post 67 for some pictures and documentation...There was a lot of discussion about "Foamers v/s no Foamers" in this thread. I use one for the FB and another for both PS and Trifoam...

http://www.autocareforum.com/showthread.php?9947-Foam-brush-plumbing-Attn-2Biz&highlight=foam

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
See thee thread noted. AFAIAC simpler is always better = No Foamer. I think in the thread somewhere I posted that I use 1/2 lines to the manifold above the bay. That is not correct. Air and liquid delivered by 3/8" Poly.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlRMAQnwIPw

BTW I bought a pair of Mr. Foamer Foamer to try in a Tunnel last year. I was able to drop 2 Tip Sizes and reduce pressure to Flo Jet. The experiment convinced me by 11 more pair. Then I saw KR had a similar set with easy clean feature and using the same Fish Tank filter Balls and material. Much less expensive to by but no clear Banana applicator. Bought a pair and AFAIAC worked just as well for a lot less $ but having the applicator may make it worth the $.

As you can see from the video for the SS IMO the foamers were not needed. Having the foamer at the arch for the tunnel provided instant delivery which is a different concern for a tunnel.

MEP001

Reaction score
I make a foamer out of 1 1/2" PVC - I glue one cap on about 8" of pipe and drill/tap a 1/4" NPT hole in the end and one in the side as well as the cap I'm going to glue on and stuff in 2 or 3 nylon scrubbers, whatever will fit in loosely.

You can just tee them together as Earl does, but you will get more foam with less product using a foamer and you won't have the brush spitting across the bay when it first comes on unless you have the air turned up way too high.

I've only had to use 3/8" OD tubing when the run to the bay was over 100', otherwise there doesn't seem to be any difference in flow with 1/4".

You'll probably see some experiments in the thread linked above with a foamer I did using disks of plastic in an attempt to make one that won't get clogged over time, but I never went back to it with different size holes to find something that worked.

Randy

Reaction score
Our foamers are in the equipment room. All they are is a short piece 1” PVC pipe about 8” long with a 1” x ½” reducer coupling glued to each end with a 1/8” “T” on the inlet end with a ¼” air and chemical line on each side of the “T”. On the discharge end of the foamer we use a 3/8” hose out to the bay. I don’t believe there is anything inside the foamer. Puts out plenty foam out in the bays.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
my "foamers" are in the brush... I shove a piece of plastic scrubbie pad into the top of the brush head when I put them on. I used to shove it up into the brush handle, but havent done that since I switched to wobbleheads.

danj2

Reaction score
If I may revive an old thread here...

I have never used a FloJet in my wash. But, I do have them on the soda machine at my pizzeria! My question is, for just a little 3 bay SS, can I use one FloJet to pump the FB soap into a set of 3 "homemade pvc style foamers" in the equipment room, then send the mixed chem to each bay out of each foamer? If so, am I using air to drive the FloJet as well as to mix with the chem inside the PVC unit?

Also, in the photo at the beginning of the thread here: http://www.autocareforum.com/showthread.php?9947-Foam-brush-plumbing-Attn-2Biz&highlight=foam , what is the line labeled as "AF"?? I see and understand "soap" and "air" but not AF.

How will I control the chemical dilution as it leaves the bucket and enters the FloJet? Right now I am mixing at about 50:1 I think.

I am replacing my stupid Dema MixRite (3rd or 4th one in 3 years...POS) with this hopefully simpler solution. I think I can make to final approach, can you guys guide me on in?

danj2

Reaction score
Getnbusy, care to share a diagram or photo of your setup? I have air, chemical, hoses, and a flojet pump available. Just need guidance.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score

I have never used a FloJet in my wash. But, I do have them on the soda machine at my pizzeria! My question is, for just a little 3 bay SS, can I use one FloJet to pump the FB soap into a set of 3 "homemade pvc style foamers" in the equipment room, then send the mixed chem to each bay out of each foamer? If so, am I using air to drive the FloJet as well as to mix with the chem inside the PVC unit?

Also, in the photo at the beginning of the thread here: http://www.autocareforum.com/showthread.php?9947-Foam-brush-plumbing-Attn-2Biz&highlight=foam , what is the line labeled as "AF"?? I see and understand "soap" and "air" but not AF.

How will I control the chemical dilution as it leaves the bucket and enters the FloJet? Right now I am mixing at about 50:1 I think.

I am replacing my stupid Dema MixRite (3rd or 4th one in 3 years...POS) with this hopefully simpler solution. I think I can make to final approach, can you guys guide me on in?
"AF" in the photo is abbreviation for "Anti Freeze"...Actually its the washer fluid line for winterizing, but you have to have the system in place to utilize this....So you have air, WF, and FB Soap on the intake side. The outlet goes to the boom. There is a wealth of information in that thread with real life tests and results.

In the thread you linked to, look at post 67...There are photos of how a FB system is set up...Or my version anyway!

BTW, chemical dilution is controlled by the hydrominder. All the flojets job is, is to pump the diluted FB soap. How FB soap volume and air is mixed determines how well the foam works in the bays...Air is metered through an air regulator and FB soap is regulated with needle valves. In my case, the Kip manifolds have built in needle valves to control flow volume...Again, lots of valuable information in the thread you linked to. Read it from front to back, and all (Or most) of your questions will be answered.

Last edited:

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Just for the record, I don't use methanol for winterizing any more. I use a Blowdown-Washer Fluid injection system that does all the winterizing for FB and TF hoses...Its all automated and documented here on the forum....Thanks for linking to that old thread. Brought back some great memories sharing ideas with CantBreak80!! He's a wealth of knowledge!

Randy

Reaction score
I've got a short PVC Foamer on each of my foam brush lines in the equipment room. There basically just a mixing chamber, I don't know if they do anything. There about 35 years old.

L

loewem

What problems did you have with the mixrites? I’ve started using them and wondering what I might have to look foward to. Thanks

getnbusy

Reaction score
I haven't been up there in awhile but its just a plastic tee with some pushlock fittings in it. Nothin fancy. PM me a phone number and I will send you a picture

danj2

Reaction score
I am on my third MixRite unit! All of them have developed a pin hole leak on the outlet side, just above the threaded outlet pipe. There seems to be a weak spot in the plastic where the injection mold seam comes together. FWIW.

Last edited:

danj2

Reaction score
Getnbusy, I recd an error message from the Forum system when I tried to PM you, to-wit:

Errors
The following errors occurred with your submission

getnbusy has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

slash007

Reaction score
I have put foamers on 3 of my six ss bays at a test. The 3 with the foamers do foam up much better with less chemical. I can have the non foamer bays be shaving cream like with slightly more chemical, but then the bays with foamers would be too thick. I just recently upped my chemical to increase the foam and now need to install the foamers on the other 3 so they all match. Was supposed to be done long ago, but the difference wasn't really noticeable to the customer with the previous tip, so I left it.

Randy

Reaction score
I have put foamers on 3 of my six ss bays at a test. The 3 with the foamers do foam up much better with less chemical. I can have the non foamer bays be shaving cream like with slightly more chemical, but then the bays with foamers would be too thick. I just recently upped my chemical to increase the foam and now need to install the foamers on the other 3 so they all match. Was supposed to be done long ago, but the difference wasn't really noticeable to the customer with the previous tip, so I left it.
What kind of Foamers are you using or are you making them yourself?