What's new

FoamBrite Vs NeoGlide wash material

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Our Softgloss XS 2 is needing new wash material and I just got a quote from Ryko Solutions for $22,000+ just to replace all 5 brushes that's it!!! and then I see Car Wash Consignment is offering to replace all 5 brushes with all hardware which includes new c-channels, shafts, shaft couplers, coupler spiders, keystocks, all bearings for $6700. I have some concerns on why it's so cheap has anybody here retrofitted their soft-gloss with this package. I see alot of c-channel brushes with barely any material on them in sections and the aluminum core showing, that would make me very scared to see that thing spinning near my vehicle.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
I put neoglide on a softgloss 2 a few months ago. I think with all other things being the same, it has a little less friction on the surface. However, since the neoglide is more like sliced sheets, there is a little bit more "slapping" sound on the vehicle when there is little brush crush. Other than that, is assembles easy. Deleting the clutch is a definite plus. Seems to wear about the same. It seems to need about the same amount of lube...
You will definitely see the aluminum core showing though. Although its pretty much impossible to have the aluminum touch the vehicle.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Soft 3 is Ryko’s answer to Istobal’s M-NEX, one of the best machines on the market.

If Soft 3 performs like M-NEX, I bet Ryko will sell a lot more of these than Sonny’s will 35’ to 45’ mini-tunnels.

soapy

Reaction score
I think the 5 brush machine is designed to wash a little faster than a 3 brush machine. How many wash cycles did you get out of your foam brite material?

DavidM

Reaction score
I don't have a Ryko so I can't speak specifically to that machine. I can second what was said about the C channel Neoglide being a little louder (slapping the car). I am looking at Gallop Brush for replacement foam for my tunnel, they may have an option for the Softgloss machine as well.

Robert, what makes the M-Nex one of the best machines? How does it compare to PDQ's Icon?

David

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“Robert, what makes the M-Nex one of the best machines? How does it compare to PDQ's Icon?”

M-Nex has slight edge because of contour dyer.

Contour dries better and is a constant. On-board takes the customer, a variable, out of the drying equation and it also allows for a short bay. Otherwise, Icon design is as good as M-Nex.

Both of these machines are part of the new generation of high-tech, 3-touch in-bays that perform as well as 5-touch.

For example, Broadway’s rollover is 5-touch that produces 41,000 watts of power whereas Icon produces 48,000 watts.

Broadway’s gantry track is 23 lineal feet. With a free standing dryer, the recommended minimum bay length is 35’. PDQ recommends minimum bay length of 35.5’ for Icon with on-board dyer.

So, with one set of wraps instead of two, Icon has to work harder and this is indicated by the difference in watts.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
The distance between the two wrap brushes of a 5-touch machine while spinning is about 18’.

So, about 7’ of track would show on one end and 11’ on the other end.

18’ – 11’’ = 7’

To cover the total length of vehicle, gantry must cover this 7’ plus 5’ at each end or 10’.

18’ + 7’ + 10’ = 35’

Add 5’ for free-standing dryer, 5’ + 35’ = 40’

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I think I follow you, except for adding 5' for a dryer. IMO, the best location for the dryer is outside the bay, so no extra length would be needed.

DavidM

Reaction score
Thanks Robert. I haven't researched the M-Nex, I don't believe we have a distributor around and I am leary of an imported machine after owning a Wesumat/MarkVII.
However, when you mentioned it as a good one, it piqued my curiosity.

David

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Regardless of make, closed-cell foam is a must-have for a 3-touch machine because it has desirable characteristics; it spins at greater rpm (more work), it shines as it cleans and it is designed to break before the car does. So, I would not delete the clutch.

Spending on carwash equipment isn’t growing very much so pressure for sales is still on, and the top OEM’s have responded with better equipment. So, there are lots of good machines to choose from.

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
Thanks Robert. I haven't researched the M-Nex, I don't believe we have a distributor around and I am leary of an imported machine after owning a Wesumat/MarkVII.
However, when you mentioned it as a good one, it piqued my curiosity.

David
David, there is a Istobal distributor in Harrisburg, PA

Last edited:

mac

Reaction score
All you have to do is watch the Istobal M@@ wash one car and you'll see why it does a better job cleaning. Both the top horizontal brush, and the two side brushes wash the complete front and rear of the car. They go side to side and totally eliminate any areas in the center that a 5 brush machine is famous for. You can even have them do a double scrub when bug season hits. As usual, Ryko is playing catch up.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I have not ever seen a Softgloss retrofitted with neoglide in action, I have seen pictures and there are only a few out there but I would like to see a video of a softgloss with Neoglide washing a vehicle.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Diamond have you looked at the replacement pieces from Astromatic or Sonny's that you just screw on? Fills in the worn places, mostly on the bottom for a few hundred bucks.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
So, I would not delete the clutch.
Even if the clutch costs 2000.00 per brush and when you have no damage claims after deleting them with the retrofit? And when the clutch is one of the most problematic parts of the machine? I have seen Ryko techs screw the upper and lower shafts together when the customer chooses that over the cost of the clutch.

Also, I'm not sure I follow the calculation for the bay length thing... a 5 brush machine doesn't need to travel past the front or rear of the vehicle since the rear brushes do the rear, and the front brushes do the front. A three brush machine has to travel all the way past the vehicle for the brushes to get the front and rear of the car, so the bay length requirement is usally longer on a 3 brush for the same length of vehicle.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Diamond, my opinion of the one we did is that it is not a better option when comparing on noise. Wash quality seems the same. However, if you are looking for a "value" option, I think it is a better choice for the buck compared to an OEM reload. You will have less maintenance issues related to the clutch for sure. You may still get the broken antennae complaint once in a few thousand, but no different than with the clutches.

Etowah