What's new

FoamBrite Top Brush Squeaking/Noisy Return Up

WashSingh

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

On Colder days I would notice the Top Brush on my Ryko machine would loudly squeak or make a “moaning” sound on it’s way up to the normal resting position after a pass over a car. However, lately it is making the sound after it washes every car, regardless of the temperature and it seems to be getting louder. I also fear the Top Brush is taking a little longer to return to it’s resting position, and I hope it doesn’t get stuck in the lower position on the way back and damage a car.

Anyone ever seen a similar issues before?

Thanks,

Ryko CS

Reaction score
It sounds like you have a bind in your top brush pivot bearings. Please try turning off the air to the machine, then releasing the pressure at the relief valve at the bottom of the MAC panel. This should drop all air to the machine causing the top brush to drop. Once the air has released, try moving the top brush up to about a 45 degree angle, and let it go. Does it drop? Then try moving to horizontal and see if it drops. If it hangs in either position, it's an issue in the pivot bearings.

If you have a very early machine (pre 2000), you could have one that used a stainless sleeve over the pivot shaft of the arm where it goes into the bearing. If the set screws of the sleeve come loose, this could allow the sleeve to get stuck in the bearing, but to rotate against the shaft. Being metal on metal, you would have the moaning sound as described. The fix in this case would be to remove the sleeve from the pivot shaft, clean it, and use Loctite 680 with set screws to hold it in position, then reassemble.

If it's a newer machine, the design was changed where the sleeves weren't used, but you may have a TB pivot bearing worn that would be causing the issue.

WashSingh

Reaction score
Thank you Darin. I'll give it a shot this week and let you know how it goes.