What's new

Foam vs. Cloth

carnut2

Express Exterior
Reaction score
Our wash is going on four years old and some of the cloth is showing wear. Any pros and cons for cloth vs. foam. Would like to switch to foam. Any suggestions on who makes the best foam? We use Peco, would any other work?

parsonii

Reaction score
in my very limited experience, from what i've seen foam doesn't clean as well .... it just kind of slaps and glides over the car.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Agreed. Cloth cleans better. FWIW I have an AVW Top Brush with Foam. Do not know who OEM supplier is. Faom Failed at 75K cars. Wasshedding pieces like crazy. Order repalcement from AVW. Same experience. Repeated again. Finally called Dan at Erie. His replacement lasted 200k cars with no visible signsof wear. Started to look dingy (Light Blue color) and I could no longer get it brightened up. Replaced now with darker blue.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
My personal choice would be foam for wrap-around and rotating top brush, cloth for side/rocker brush and N/S’s lambs-cloth for STS and FTB mitter. I like foam because I have seen it break before car parts do. Foam has also been proven to shine paint.

kevinmcf

Reaction score
Been doing this for 20 years, foam on all drums, able to spin faster and gentler on cars antennas mirrors etc, especially on wraps. But needs more water, cloth on all miters foam on miters does nothing unless you have a top brush where foam is a must. Cloth is easier to clean and does wear, foam tears easier and impossible to clean. Both would seam to last 450-500,000 washes before replacing.

kevinmcf

Reaction score
I also use the lambswool on last miter, more for show after triple foam. but issues when new leaves felt clogging filter in reclaim, until broken in.

DixieCarWash

Reaction score
Anyone use Neoglide? Or better yet Sonny's Whisper top brush? If so how well does that stuff work? In my area only one wash uses Neoglide and another wash has the Whisper top Sonny's makes but I'm not sure whether Neoglide is better as far as foam goes.

carnut2

Express Exterior
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. We have decided to switch our wraps to foam. What are some of the better brands of replacement? Or use OEM?