What's new

Foam the soap or not.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
We all know it's important to apply soapy water to wash material for lubrication and cleaning.

Foaming the initial application is great for show.

Many setups seem to have foamers further down the tunnel applying more foam before some equipment like wraps. Also good for show.

With a sit thru and the windows always soapy addittional show worth is nominal.

So the question is what does a better job of keeping material clean and lubricated, applying more foam to the car or a a good application of soapy water directly to the material? (Understanding of course that these are not mutualy exclusive, but at some point it may be more than necessary. )

briteauto

Reaction score
Hi Earl,

It has always been our practice to keep the wash material (side wheels and mitters) flushed full of soapy water. Yes, we do one initial high foam application to the vehicle, but we feed the material with soap solution. It keeps it cleaner, and more slippery - regardless if you are using cloth, foam or brush. Many times, the foam placed directly on the car can be partially rinsed off or runs off the car before the wash material touches it - especially if you have a mitter prior to your side wheels.

I never saw a need for a second detergent application to the car, as my second application of foam is reserved for the tri-foam polish. This sets it apart, and makes it clear to the customer that the first foam is for cleaning, the second for polishing. Like you said, adding a second foamed detergent, with a triple foam to follow, would only keep the customer from seeing anything out of their window.

Lube up the wash material - form follows function.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
There is a delicate balance when it comes to foam in a friction wash. If there is too much it may not allow the friction media to make effective contact with the surface of the vehicle. If there is not enough it may not provide enough lubrication for the friction. I think it is best to keep a minimum of foam on the friction media because you want to make sure you a flushing any particles that come off the previous vehicles.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I think it is best to keep a minimum of foam on the friction media because you want to make sure you a flushing any particles that come off the previous vehicles.
Therein lies the issue.

The question must not have been clear. We all seem to agree that for flushing & lubrication the material be it filament, cloth of some type or foam needs to be flushed with a slippery liquid. There also seems to be a consensus that too much foam on the car may be detrimental to cleaning by imposing a barrier between wash material and the dirt.

Taking entetainment out of the equation, is there any advantage to foaming the flushing liquid versus just leaving it as a liquid for the purpose of flushing and lubricating washing material?

BTW once had a soap rep tell me I should put in a second set of soap foamers down the line. Told him the windows still had plenty of suds at tis point (I am sit thru EE) so the visual impact would be nominal. The only effect a second set of foamers would have would be for him to sell me more soap.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I foam my presoaks(high PH then low PH) because they cling and stay on the surface longer. This allows the products to actually work and not just run off down the side of the vehicle. By foaming you can also use less product. The water feeds to my wraps, rockers, mitters, etc.. are mainly water with just a small amount of lubricating soap.

briteauto

Reaction score
Taking entetainment out of the equation, is there any advantage to foaming the flushing liquid versus just leaving it as a liquid for the purpose of flushing and lubricating washing material?
I was not clear in my earlier post. While I do supply the material with a soap solution, it is not foamed. I think I said "soapy" water, but it certainly is not foamed. To the eye, it looks like it is just water going to the material. I would not recommend applying foamed soap to cloth - just the car. Priority #1 is to flush the material clean (many operators only use water for this) - the added lubricity of flushing with a non foamed solution is secondary.

once had a soap rep tell me I should put in a second set of soap foamers down the line. Told him the windows still had plenty of suds at tis point (I am sit thru EE) so the visual impact would be nominal. The only effect a second set of foamers would have would be for him to sell me more soap.
Right - and possibly prevent the customer from seeing the triple foam application (if purchased), which you do want them to see clearly.

Last edited:

Robert Bailey

Reaction score
think to keep material clean , its always best to apply when materiel is moving. dont apply soap/water to stopped equipment. I could be wrong but I don't think foam or not foam is as important as if the equipment is moving or not moving when applying.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
think to keep material clean , its always best to apply when materiel is moving. dont apply soap/water to stopped equipment. I could be wrong but I don't think foam or not foam is as important as if the equipment is moving or not moving when applying.
FWIW applying to stopped equipment is basicaly a waste of $.