What's new

Foam or Cloth.(it grabs a mirror once in a while)

Robert2181

Reaction score
We have a Hanna tunnel with cloth. Once in a while the tall side wraps will grab a mirror. All the obvious maintenance and adjustments have been check and double checked. Does foam reduce this? Our cloth is cut @ 1/2 inch. We have tried 1/4.

I keep reading that more and more are going to foam for maybe this reason and more. What are the pros & cons. What is the best way to evaluate between the different cloth and foam?

Does anyone one have any info on the Neoglide foam by Kirikian Ind. ? Or any info on the foam sold by Kleen-rite?

Any info,comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

madstack

Reaction score
Undamaged mirrors should make it thru the wash process without a problem. Are you sure they were ok before they went in? Old GM pickup mirrors may look fine but break up internally and flop down after a wash. $400! We figured out that turning them in wasn't the answer and turning off our Windshear blower has eliminated the problem for the last year now. Grand Am two post mirrors are also risky. All mirrors and antenna are touched before they go in and customers are informed of any irregularities.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
At end of last year I looked at repai bills for 4 places over a year. Some had wraps from Belanger, AVW and Hodge with various other tall side wheels. Had about 30 repair bills, 28 were from cars 10 years old or older. I think the issue is with older stiff you haver issues where they get brittle with age, mounting hardware and folding action deteriorates. I now have a "10 year Old discalimer" and have used it. Recently for a 1996 Stratus. Many thousands washed with no issues and then one like this breaks Hmmmmmm.

Now use the 10 year od disclaimer about once per month. Was tired of buying new stuf to rplace stuff that was 10-12-15 or more years old.

Other items that may help. Foam on top sections. Double or triple ply on some or all of the bottom to lessen penetration, Faster RPM to lessen penetration.

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
We have been using foam for quite a few years now and have been much happier with the way it cleans a car. In regards to the mirror issue, there should not be any issues using either foam or cloth if the mirror is not damaged. I have told countless customers that we will not pay for a damaged mirror due to previous signs of damage. Any mark on the outside of the mirror housing, no matter how miror can lead to internal mounts being weakened.

GM fullsize with the retainer problem and Grand Am mirrors I do not replace at all anymore, regardless of visible damage or not.

Robert2181

Reaction score
What type of foam are you using? (Is there any major difference?) We are planning on putting foam on the top part of the wraps. We have double ply on the bottom.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
What are the RPMs on the wrap? HAve you watched how far it penetrates when on the car? The core should not come cloe to the mirror.

Robert2181

Reaction score
the rpm is about 65 to 70. the core is far away from the mirror. It looks like the top cloth may be grabbing the mirror and unfolding the mirror.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
The best thing you can do to prevent mirror damage is to make sure there is a sufficient amount of a good lubricating soap being applied to whatever type of wash material you use.

packerscw

Reaction score
Hmmm...one thing kinda off the subject have you noticed that the foam material last longer than the cloth?