What's new

Foam generator media problem

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is there a way to pack a foam generator so the media stays put? Mine clogged so I removed the plastic mesh and replaced with stainless mesh. Worked great for 2 weeks until I found the mesh jammed in the opening to my main HP swivel; YIKES!

Or should I just replace my 13 y.o. generator with this:

???

Ayerule

Reaction score
I bought those to replace the ones in a WW1.0. Did not work.
Ended up going back to the pvc pipes.
Those Kleen-Rite generators seemed like a knock-off of the Mr. Foamer, but only produced “soupy” liquid. I could never get them to actually foam.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Is it possible you packed the generator too tightly? I always blow through mine to make sure the restriction isn't substantial.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
We install these sink strainers in our PVC pipes to prevent the s.s mesh from traveling further, unless you bring the pipe size down significantly for the output.

1580673376672.png

Randy

Reaction score
I had to replaced one of my foam generators that started to leak awhile back, it had been installed since 1982 when I cut the end off there wasn't anything inside of it. It's just a piece of 1" PVC pipe with ends glued on and tapped for the pipe fittings. I have lots of foam out in the bays.

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
We install these sink strainers in our PVC pipes to prevent the s.s mesh from traveling further, unless you bring the pipe size down significantly for the output.

View attachment 1156
I cut disks like that out of the side of a pail with a 1 1/2" hole saw. I add a few 1/4" holes to them, and cut a 1/2" thick piece of PVC. When I assemble the foamer I glue in the sliver of pipe, drop in the disk and glue the rest of the pipe in. It leaves a chamber for foam to flow out and keeps the scrubber material in place. I use the nylon scrubbers and pack three of them in - they will clog eventually but it takes as long as ten years and the generators are cheap and easy to replace.

Randy

Reaction score
This is my HP swivel with media 'migrated'.
Holy Cow that's not good! I'd be pissed if that was my set up. How much pressure are you running to push that stainless steel scrubie into the swivel.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well........ I removed all media from foam generator and got the foam flowing just fine. I had to thin out the product to get it to draw; never had that issue before. Once I did that, all was grand in foam land.

Semi-retired

Reaction score
I've tried all the above and ended up using pipe cleaner brush $8 from local buy it cheap store.
Three PVC foamers from one brush and the flow is way better.