What's new

Foam Brushes

Reaction score
What do you use? Hogs hair? or? We have always used hog hair, but the price is really high, just wondering what everyone else uses.:confused:

Kirb

Reaction score
I use universal brush monster hogs hair with aluminum head with good results.

MEP001

Reaction score
Erie rectangular hog's hair - when I look at it as a customer, I don't like the round heads. I know it's easier to get around mirrors and such with them, but we get lots of customers with trucks and SUVs and it takes longer to scrub a vehicle with a smaller round head.

I order them direct from Erie, 12 at a time, about once a year. Costs about $400.

Bill Manke

Reaction score
Hogs hair. Universal Brush Company. I used to use Erie but had alot of problems with the glue coming out and scratching. Talked to them several times but they just blew it off. This was several years ago about 15 so I would assume they got the problem fixxed.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use plastic brushes. If they're good enough for detailing preps (they are), they're fine for SS bays.

They last, work well and are inexpensive.

I didn't like the way hogs hair wears out fast, so I switched.

denduke

Reaction score
NO Hogs Hair Here

25 years in the business here and I have always used plastic foamy brush heads.
No complaints and I have never had anyone request Hogs Hair brushes. I did try one once as a test. It lasted a week before it "pancaked" and I threw it away.

wendy's wash

Reaction score
Used Erie brushes for 27 years and never had a complaint about it. No one ever said their car was scratched by my brushes. Cost is the reason for useing them but turnes out to be a good choice.

MEP001

Reaction score
Waxman said:
I use plastic brushes. If they're good enough for detailing preps (they are), they're fine for SS bays.
They're good enough if you're not an idiot, but customers tend to be not so smart. It's like putting tip protectors on the wands - I don't put them there to protect the tips, but to protect the customers from themselves. I regularly see someone deposit money and go straight for the foam brush to scrub their dry, dirty car.

A lot of customers have commented that they like the softer bristles. A lot of people think that plastic ones will scratch their car. You and I know they won't, but I don't mind profiting from their ignorance in this instance.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with your points. But I still like the cleaning ability and durability of the plastic.

The customers who 'dry hump' the finish with the brush almost don't deserve the boars hair! Shhhhh! Don't tell my insurance agent I said that!:)

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Some like it soft. Some like it hard. If I built new I would plan for seperate booms advertising the hard as a wheel brush and put foaming wheel cleaner thru it.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Washed my wife's new car years ago with plastic bristles. Got home and she looked at it and chewed me out for a year. There were light scratches all over it. Now granted they were not deep and you had to be in the right light to see them, but they were there. I've used hogs hair ever since (back and forth between Erie and Universal depending on what mood I'm in).

It's been 10 years and she still won't use the brushes at the carwash.

DavidM

Reaction score
Perception is as important as reality.

We use hogs hair only and have for many years.

David

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Washed my wife's new car years ago with plastic bristles. Got home and she looked at it and chewed me out for a year. There were light scratches all over it. Now granted they were not deep and you had to be in the right light to see them, but they were there. I've used hogs hair ever since (back and forth between Erie and Universal depending on what mood I'm in).

It's been 10 years and she still won't use the brushes at the carwash.
My instructions say rinse brush on your way past it when soaping car up w/hp. A freshly rinsed plastic brush won't scratch.

I am not saying it is impossible, but are you sure the scratches were from the brush? I've seen many cars scratched up from dealers wiping them down., removing snow, washing them improperly, etc.

MEP001

Reaction score
We did have that claim about a year ago where a woman said the brush scratched her paint up badly, but they were clearly not from the brush. I also have clear text on each foam brush instruction sign to rinse off the brush before use, but almost no one does (including the false damage claimant).

Many new-car dealers have a nylon brush rollover that they run the cars through when they get them. I saw a $90,000 'Vette on the showroom floor that was covered with micro scratches.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Perception is as important as reality.

We use hogs hair only and have for many years.

David
I disagree. Perception is more important than reality.

This was hammered home during the following encounter with a customer who came out of the tunnel years ago.

Customer: No soap was put on my car. (apparently soap foamer was not working properly and customer would not know soap is injected into water lines feeding all cloth.)
Me: Is the car clean?
Customer: What difference does that make?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Many new-car dealers have a nylon brush rollover that they run the cars through when they get them. I saw a $90,000 'Vette on the showroom floor that was covered with micro scratches.
I submit that any such issue if caused by a nylon rollover unit was the fault of improper unit operation than bad material or design. Most likely a lack of cleaning and lubricating solutions being applied to the material.

MEP001

Reaction score
Earl Weiss said:
I submit that any such issue if caused by a nylon rollover unit was the fault of improper unit operation than bad material or design. Most likely a lack of cleaning and lubricating solutions being applied to the material.
I didn't mean to blame the nylon on the scratches - believe me, I know first hand the poor conditions of car washing equipment kept by car dealers. On top of that, they're usually cleaning off rail dust with friction, very little water and practically no soap for lubrication.

Etowah