What's new

Foam Brush

tehachapicarwash

Reaction score
Recently, I stopped getting the "foam" in the foaming brush. Just a steady flow of pink liquid soap. I tried adjusting the air and I think the valve is blown out. Anyone replace the bell style valves? Maybe solenoid, but I don't think they would all gone out at once. Would you replace it with the same type of valve or something different? Needs to go from 150 psi to 50 psi.

chaz

Reaction score
Same here. My anti freeze soap uses the same formers, but different air and pump adjustments. The antifreeze soap is nice and foamy. I've changed the foot valve, changed the flow jet, purged the soap and switched to a new soap container, and cleaned the inline sceeen of soap scum. Still no foam. What is suggested pump vs air pressure.

L

loewem

I had the bell shaped regulators for the low pressure functions in my wash and had problems with them. I tried to rebuild a couple of them, but they still gave me problems. I switched to small regulators for all of my low pressure functions https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-1687-parker-composite-regulator-for-air-or-liquid-14.aspx. https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-1829-pressure-mini-gauge-18-rear-mount-1-12-dia-0-160-psi.aspx. I added a 3/8 regulator with water filter prior to my low pressure hoses and keep it at 100 PSI. Much happier with the smaller regulators.

Have you tried taking the bell shaped regulator apart to see if something is clogging it up or if it is trashed? The ones that I got rid of looked like chemicals had back flowed into them. I cleaned them up and they worked better. I had good results cleaning them with lysol tub and tile cleaner. I put everything except the diaphragm into a container and let it soak and then rinsed it with hot water. Have you tried to figure out if air is getting through at all? Turn off the chemical to a bay and open the air up and turn on the foam brush. Should be easy to hear the air flowing at the brush.

I use the same tank and settings for my summer and winter foam brush soap. 40 psi on the chemical and 30 on the air. Summer is great and winter is okay...a little too runny, but I don't mess with it for the winter soap.

tehachapicarwash

Reaction score
Adding a 3/8 regulator.... On our panel, 1 panel for brush, 1 for presoak/tire cleaner. 2 sides per panel, air/fluid. Are the regulators specific to their function, like air vs water? Or could I use one from Parker from KR to replace each?
I know the air side is bad, I haven't tried taking it apart, but when I try to adjust it, air comes out of the pressure release hole on the front and it doesn't seem to change the pressure at all.

L

loewem

You might try and see if you can get the existing regulator working again. If you can get it working again it will give you some time to think the changes through. I had a similar issue with a bell shaped regulator that fed my triple foam unit. It would start leaking air for no apparent reason. I'd shut the regulator off by turning it as far left as I could and then I'd shut the air supply to it off. Then I'd crank the regulator open by turning it as far to the right as I could. I'd open and close it a few times and then I'leave it shut (all the way to the left). Then I'd open the air flow to the regulator and slowly open the regulator up again. You can see why I changed the type of regulator that I was using. 2BIZ helped me think this through. Haven't had to spend any time messing with air for a while.

To be clear: My compressor is set to turn on at 125 PSI and turn off at 145 PSI. From the compressor I have one line that goes to my automatic and one line that goes to my self serve. Both lines go through their own 3/8 regulator with a water separator. On the self serve side I have the 3/8 regulator set to 100 PSI. From there my air lines got to the 1/4 inch parker regulators that I previously posted. The 1/4 regulators are all set at different PSI depending upon the function. The parker regulators are said to work with air or liquid. Curios to know what pumps you are using for the liquid? Flojets is what I use.

You should drain your compressor of water often and filter the water out in a couple of places. One simple thing that I did to minimize water getting down the lines was to route the lines up on the way out of the compressor. I've got one line that eventually goes down to the floor to supply the flojets for my chemical. I put a water separator on that line prior to the regulators.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I have a water separator/regulator attached to my compressor that regulates the whole system to 80 psi, taking the high input pressure off all the smaller regulators. I don't use any 3/8 regulators, only 1/4" for all functions..Like Loewem, I don't regulate any liquid, I regulate air to the flojets and regulate air to mix with FB, PS, and TF to make foam....One air regulator for each function (4 bays) and one air regulator for each Flojet (FB and PS). The regulators I use cost about $6 including 100 psi gauge ($3.50 for the regulator and $2.50 for the gauge!). I get them at our local Car Quest car parts store. I've never had one go bad in 6 years! I believe it helps to put the regulator ahead of any solenoids, keeping pressure on it all the time. If you have any regulator after the solenoid, I believe it puts a lot of stress on the diaphragm because of switch through's and normal on and off cycles.

There are some pictures of a typical FB and PS setup....Might give you some ideas...

http://www.autocareforum.com/showthread.php?9964-Modding-an-quot-Old-quot-Mark-VII-Pump-Stand/page5

Last edited:
Etowah