What's new

foam brush operation and improvements

area123

Reaction score
I have an ARO diaphram pump on my foam brush, running at about 60 psi. I don't feel it is pumping out enough foam and wondering if some of you can provide setting ideas or input.

The foaming air supply is running at 20 psi & pump at 60 psi, I've tried to up the foaming air but it creates too much back pressure and keeps the ARO pump from pumping enough & I can't set it above 60 with the current regulator (which may be the problem). There is also another product metering valve that I can play with in the low pressure cabinet. Am still doing some experimenting to get it the way I like it, but was just looking for some basic guidelines for pressure settings here.

Do I need more than 60 psi to operate the pump? the max operating pressure is 100 psi. it is a Model 66605J-344 if that matters.

If it would help I can post pics later of the cabinet with controls and the foam brush tank and pump, etc..

Thanks!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If your current regulator won't go above 60 PSI, not that you need to, the regulator may be bad and giving you a bad reading.

A. You should not need more than 60 PSI, in fact that can be too much
B. Do you use foam generators? Are they gummed up?

With foaming stuff sometimes "less is more" trying to force too much vlome thru 3-6 small FB Holes can kill the foam.

Here are steps I would try.

Will the soution foam? Put some in a bucket and drop an air line regulated down to 20psi and see if you get good foam.

Turn off the air to the FB and set pump pressure to 20 psi. try for a nice but slow steady flow of liquid. If needed bump up pressure to the pump in 5 psi increments until you do. Then set air to 10 PSI and see what happens. Again, bump up in 5 psi increments.

MEP001

Reaction score
Clogged generators would be my thought too.

Are the hoses through the foam brush made with steel crimped-on fittings? Those will rust inside and clog the line.

area123

Reaction score
I'm not sure if we have foam generators. Where would they be?

I'll take some pics in the morning and post. There is a cabinet with solenoids and adjustment valves for soap and air.

I saw it in use today and it seems to have a descent foam. Just not as much as I like

BBE

Reaction score
If you have a flat roof it should be in the trough on the roof above the foam brush boom. You can take the brillo pad out of the foam generator and flush it out with water and put it back in.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I hope it is not a Brillo brand pad which would rust over time. It shold be a plastic or copper scrubbie thing or get rid of it all to gether.

area123

Reaction score
I Kinda think he didn't have foam generators because the trough is only accessible right above the boom where the manifold is and then you can also access it in the attic of the pump room and there is no foam generator in either of those places. I guess I could make one and try it out to see if it helps. Do most of you guys make those? I've seen some for sale online.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I have an ARO diaphram pump on my foam brush, running at about 60 psi. I don't feel it is pumping out enough foam and wondering if some of you can provide setting ideas or input.

The foaming air supply is running at 20 psi & pump at 60 psi, I've tried to up the foaming air but it creates too much back pressure and keeps the ARO pump from pumping enough & I can't set it above 60 with the current regulator (which may be the problem). There is also another product metering valve that I can play with in the low pressure cabinet. Am still doing some experimenting to get it the way I like it, but was just looking for some basic guidelines for pressure settings here.

Do I need more than 60 psi to operate the pump? the max operating pressure is 100 psi. it is a Model 66605J-344 if that matters.

If it would help I can post pics later of the cabinet with controls and the foam brush tank and pump, etc..

Thanks!
Area123,

I know this is not the answer you are specifically looking for ... but one of the best things we did at our 6 bay self service is to get rid of our Aro Pumps & replaced them with Flojets. Many fewer issues & much more straightforward troubleshooting in the rare occasion that troubleshooting is now needed.

We did that over 10 years ago ... so unless the Aro have improved that you may want to keep in mind for the long term after you get your Aro Pump settings optimized for the short term ... until you are ready to replace it with a better designed & more durable pump.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com