What's new

Foam Brush Head Leaks?

copperglobe

Reaction score
I just installed some new heads in my self serve bays for the foam brushes. Erie Hogs Hair from Windtrax. They are all leaking between the metal head and the gasket. They all still have foam coming out of the hair as they should but this leak between the basket and the metal part has me going crazy. Anyone else having this problem? Has Erie changed their materials/design? If you look close you'll see that there really isn't that tight of a fit, especially on the ends. I've tried taking them apart to have a look and tightening the screws down tighter with no success. The last one I had to take some silicone and run a bead around the outer edge to stop the leaking. :mad:

Randy

Reaction score
I've never had any problems with Erie brush heads. Are you replacing the whole head or just the refill? I think I?d call Erie brush at 1-800-711-3743 and talk to Dan or Rob.

MEP001

Reaction score
They may have a bad batch of backing plates, perhaps the holes aren't deep enough to allow the screws to tighten the head and backing plate together enough to make a seal.

They'll make it right if whoever you bought them from won't.

copperglobe

Reaction score
They were complete new brushes, not rebuilding them. I took them apart twice just to see what was going on. The "sandwich" of the brush head, the rubber gasket and the metal plate just didn't seem to be tight. I wondered that about the screws not sinking in deep enough to make a tight fit. I'll give Erie a call. Thanks for the phone numbers.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
They were complete new brushes, not rebuilding them. I took them apart twice just to see what was going on. The "sandwich" of the brush head, the rubber gasket and the metal plate just didn't seem to be tight. I wondered that about the screws not sinking in deep enough to make a tight fit. I'll give Erie a call. Thanks for the phone numbers.
Report back. I bet dollars to Donuts they make it right.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I was changing out some brush heads and noticed this too. I will give them a call. I am going to try some screws that aren't so deep maybe.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
Most brush heads have 4 screws I have been know to only put 2 screws in not realizing there were 4, and they leaked also.

copperglobe

Reaction score
I sent some pictures of the leaking brushes to Erie and they have requested that I send back the brushes next day air. Their comment was that they couldn't duplicate the leaks on their in stock brushes. I'll keep you posted as to what they say.

Washmechanic

Washmechanic, Ibas. ss,
Reaction score
I sent some pictures of the leaking brushes to Erie and they have requested that I send back the brushes next day air. Their comment was that they couldn't duplicate the leaks on their in stock brushes. I'll keep you posted as to what they say.
I had the same problem today. Customer broke off foam brush and I took a new one from the box. It leaked completely around the top of the head. The screws were tight but the rubber bumper was loose. Got a second one and the same problem. Had to resort to an old worn brush inorder to keep the bay open. I've been using this brush for ten years and never had a problem before. Upon close inspection, I noticed that the new heads were slightly different than the old ones. All of the embossed names and lettering was gone and the name was simply applied with a stick-on lable. Maybe simply cosmetic or a casting change that doesn't quite fit the gasket? Called Windtrax and they said that they hadn't heard of any problems. Will give a credit back, but that doesn't help much to keep the bays open.

copperglobe

Reaction score
I talked to Erie yesterday and they are sending me new brushes and they told me that there was a defect in the brushes that I had sent them. The defective heads are as you said, they don't have the name "Erie" molded into the metal heads but have the sticker placed on the head. Give Erie a call at the number that was posted earlier and ask for Barb. She was the one I talked to and was very helpful. Dan was also working on the problem as well. They told me that they have sent me new brushes, haven't received them yet but I'm sure they'll be coming. I'll keep you posted.

I would suggest that if you have the new brush heads with the "Erie" name with a sticker then you should probably check them out.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Was there a "lot" number on the box or head to reference? I have a dozen or so sitting on my shelf I bought less than a year ago. Curious as to whether there's something I could check before being in a situation where I open one up only to have the same problem.

copperglobe

Reaction score
When this all started and I called Erie I was asked to give them the "letter" that is molded into the metal brush head. This letter is located just opposite to where the handle screws in. It is very, very small. My heads had the letter "C" molded into the head. Erie said that it was probably the letter "O". Best indicator is if the name "Erie" is molded into the head or if it is just a sticker on the head. All my problems came from brushes with the sticker. The sticker heads are obviously new castings from the older molded "Erie" heads.

Washmechanic

Washmechanic, Ibas. ss,
Reaction score

Here are some pictures of what they look like.
Good Photos, they show exactly the problem I had. I called Erie and talked to Dan and Barbara and was told that they had a problem with the manufacturer and had corrected the problem. Said they would ship replacements today and I'll return the faulty ones. The letter on the brush is an O, but that is also the same letter on the older Erie models. The problem was with the new heads with the stick-on Erie lable.

copperglobe

Reaction score
I think that Erie, Dan and Barb, are really trying to take care of the problem. They have been very helpful with us in getting the thing resolved. I haven't received my new brushes yet but I'm sure they are coming.

Etowah