What's new

fluorescent light problem

Reds

Reaction score
Graingers catalog shows the lumens for each bulb. If I understand correctly Lumens is the amount of energy a light source releases directly at the source (radiance). Footcandles or Lux is the amount of light that would strike a surface at a given distance (illuminance). I believe to get footcandles you would need to go to Ruud or LSI and have them do a lighting plan for you. They usually do this for free if you submit a site plan. But lumens is a good place to start looking at how much light the bulbs emit.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Have been changing out to these;
http://www.constantcontact.com/display_media.jsp?id=3

Bays were set up with 4 Single Bulb 4 foot flourescent fixtures about 9 feet off the floor on the side walls each about 4 feet in from the end and seperated by about 4 feet.

As they fail I am replacing with these double tube four foot fixtures . At $175.00 per fixture it did not make sense to spend money to replace an HO Ballast for an old fixture and still have all the other Old stuff including the lense. I can also run these at the 277 volts the bay lights are wired for. These bulbs spec out at 54 watts each or 108 per fixture & therefore 432 per bay.

Some indicated these use 2 ceiling mount catty corner 320 watts. which would be 640 watts or almost 50% more cost to run.

I also wonder if there is more efficient light dispersion with the 4 fixture setup I have, even though total light output would be less than the 320 w Metal Halide.

There certainly would be less of a maintenance issue with 2 Bulbs per bay as opposed to eight.

cherokee235

Reaction score
I bought 5 more ballasts and 10 bulbs from Lowe's. It makes a huge difference in the light output. No more flicker. I have 1 T12 set left in a 7 fixture string and you can see a noticable difference in the light output. Lowes was one ballast short, so I'll change it in a couple of weeks when they get more in stock. I should have done this a long time ago.

David