What's new

Flowjet G57...Viton or Santoprene?

Monte

Reaction score
Is it worth it to pay more for the Viton seals/diaphragm or just go half price and get the Santoprene model??! I was going to compare them side by side to compare service life, but figured there would be no lack of opinions from all you experienced operators. I would appreciate anyone's advice. Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
I use Viton for tire cleaner and trifoam. Santoprene on those two won't last two years because of the harsh chemicals. I don't want to have to keep two different pumps on hand so I just use Viton on everything. They last about five years on tire cleaner/trifoam, maybe seven on the rest.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I use Viton for tire cleaner and trifoam. Santoprene on those two won't last two years because of the harsh chemicals. I don't want to have to keep two different pumps on hand so I just use Viton on everything. They last about five years on tire cleaner/trifoam, maybe seven on the rest.
What makes the tri-foam so harsh?

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't know, it turns the Hydrominder hoses hard in a few weeks. I've seen stuff even harsher that ate through a Kip stainless solenoid clear through to the outlet.

kSffkq.jpg

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
................................ I don't want to have to keep two different pumps on hand so I just use Viton on everything. T
Same. Plus eliminates possibility of accidentally using the wrong one.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I agree with MEP. I’ve only used Viton for years.
The hoses get hard and are a pain in the butt to work on with Santoprene.

Monte

Reaction score
On the topic, I was going to buy a Santoprene G57 and plumb it up to transfer products from drums to pails or kegs. I figured I would always rinse it out with water after I was done using it, so therefore, it would last even if I was transferring the harshest stuff I got. Anybody have a better idea for a transfer pump or what are you using for the job?? Thanks

Monte

Reaction score
More importantly, if the G57 wont self prime, It wont work well as a transfer pump......I dont know the answer to my question, but I would guess it is NOT self-priming???

MEP001

Reaction score
On the topic, I was going to buy a Santoprene G57 and plumb it up to transfer products from drums to pails or kegs. I figured I would always rinse it out with water after I was done using it, so therefore, it would last even if I was transferring the harshest stuff I got. Anybody have a better idea for a transfer pump or what are you using for the job?? Thanks
More importantly, if the G57 wont self prime, It wont work well as a transfer pump......I dont know the answer to my question, but I would guess it is NOT self-priming???
I've done exactly that. I used a Viton, I rinsed it out just with a couple gallons of water in a pail, and I've ended up needing it in service once after loaning someone my last new spare. It will self-prime very well.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Monte,
As MEP001 stated...
The G57s prime quite easily.

I have one that I've used for filling gylcol into floor heat systems, transferring windshield washer fluid/soaps/wax/etc. from drums to pails.
I've even used a G57 to inject brine into an obsolete twin water softener that needed unobtainium parts. Got another 8 years of service outta that old beast!

Keep the air motor dry and they'll easily last 7-8 years.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Monte,
As MEP001 stated...
The G57s prime quite easily.

I have one that I've used for filling gylcol into floor heat systems, transferring windshield washer fluid/soaps/wax/etc. from drums to pails.
I've even used a G57 to inject brine into an obsolete twin water softener that needed unobtainium parts. Got another 8 years of service outta that old beast!

Keep the air motor dry and they'll easily last 7-8 years.
Wth is the "air motor"?

MEP001

Reaction score
The part that makes it pump, although I think it's technically too simple to call an air motor since it's just a switching valve that redirects airflow to the two pistons.

water guy

Reaction score
I use my milwaukee 18volt transfer pump for everything its very handy.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Well, looks like I'm the only Santoprene guy. Mine usually die from stalling/moisture. I'm lucky to get more than a couple of years out of one. Having said that, My tire cleaner is much more aggresive than most operators use in the SS and I know my Santo G57 has worked a couple of years in that application.

Wow. I thought Triple Foam & FB was real mild...
Foam Brush is usually neutral. "Triple foam" is a generic term that refers to a product that can be neutral or low PH, depending on whether you use a polish or conditioner. HF is about the only product the car wash industry uses that can slowly eat away at stainless

Randy

Reaction score
My Flo-Jet pumps say “Coca Cola” on them. They work just fine and have lasted a long time. Back in the day before the G57 came out we used the N5100, they worked pretty good. We field tested the Flo-jet G5X pumps for about 2 years before they were released. They sent us dozens of pumps to test in a real world application. All the pumps had a test number on them and when they failed we’d send them back and they’d send more pumps.

STXCW

Reaction score
What makes the tri-foam so harsh?
Some of the cheaper tri foams are a soap based formula, not saying that his are. Years ago we received a sample from a salesman and could not get it to rinse worth a darn on our autos. When we researched the ingredients we realized why and switched back to our old supplier.

Etowah
Etowah