What's new

Flow-jet pump problem

Wally

Reaction score
I installed a flow-jet pump with viton seals on my tire cleaner and one week later it started leaking air from the muffler. Usually I just toss these things but I would like to repair it if I could.

MEP001

Reaction score
They're usually good about warranty stuff, but make sure the pump is supplied with clean, dry, oil-free air and they'll last for years. I haven't had one last less than three years so far - I have two pumps that have been in service over five years, a lot to get from a $70 pump.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I love mine, they work flawlessly. I tried to do a repair on one that was up on the shelf and what a headache that was. There are a TON of seals and springs in there. Lots of dry oil-less air and they shouldn't give you any problems.

Jim Caudill

Self Serve Operator
Reaction score
For my tire cleaner, I use the pump with Viton seals (brown instead of black). Also check all the screws for tightness: as tight as you can get them with a good screwdriver is about right. I have been known to use a phillips "hex bit" in a 1/4" socket and use an extension and ratchet to make sure I got them tight enough. Just don't get too carried away if you use anything other than a screwdriver.

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
For my tire cleaner, I use the pump with Viton seals (brown instead of black).

Jim, are you saying that the "pump" is brown instead of black? Every flojet that I have used, has always been black and the sticker on top indicated whether it had viton or santoprene seals. Thanks for any info.

Scott

washnvac

Reaction score
I have had a lot of these fail lately. It seems Flo-Jet has sent production South of the border. The warranty is 16 months from production date. I have been sending every single one back to Kleen-Rite. Everyone has been credited....about 10 over the past 18 months. It is all the same issue; air leaking between cycles. The air is dry and pressure @ 85 psi. On a side note, I have a 13 year A-OK self-serve skid that has the original Flo-Jets on it....made in USA. How about that!! Maybe Flo-Jet will wake up and bring production back here. I suggest eveyone send their failed units back if it is within the 16 month production.

mac

Reaction score
I saw the same thing when Para Plate moved their trigger gun production to Mexico. I had 15 fail out of 20 guns(I sell them). Talked to someone at the factory and he really didn't care. The guns acted like the trigger was pulled all the time. When it came on with high pressure, you had better be holding it.

dcarwash

Reaction score
If you use them on tire or presoak, a failed HP check valve over the bay will let high pressure come back to the Flowjet and it will be destroyed. We install a check valve between the Flojet output and the solenoid valve block to prevent this problem.

MEP001

Reaction score
washnvac said:
It is all the same issue; air leaking between cycles.
I assume you dead-heading the pumps (Using the liquid solenoids to control flow and leaving pressure applied to the pump at all times). I run them like this and have no issues with the pumps, but you could always add a controller and a solenoid for the air supply.

dcarwash said:
If you use them on tire or presoak, a failed HP check valve over the bay will let high pressure come back to the Flowjet and it will be destroyed. We install a check valve between the Flojet output and the solenoid valve block to prevent this problem.
I've found that adding check valves can often compound a problem rather than solving it. Consider instead using a pop-off valve to prevent damage.

Jim Caudill

Self Serve Operator
Reaction score
Regarding the "brown vs black" question; no, the pumps are all black on the outside. The Viton seals are what is brown. Granted, you cannot tell without some disassembly, which is which.

washnvac

Reaction score
I just got in three new pumps. They say "made in China". What a surprise. The KR order taker had told me they were made in Mexico now. But apparently not. I just sent back another two pumps under warranty. That is 10 this year. Maybe they will wake up soon???

Gabriel

Reaction score
Send it in for replacement. Not worth working on! Should last over a year and possibly over 5.

MEP001

Reaction score
Well, I had to get behind the pumpstand the other day and noticed that a FloJet I put on about 6 months ago is leaking all the way around the housing, barely enough to drip on the floor, but it's tire cleaner and there's a thick crust of orange residue all over it. The pump had been on the shelf for a long time and is already out of warranty.

Etowah

Mitch

Reaction score
I was told not to input more than 60 lbs of dry air after having several failures. If we keep sending them back, maybe something will change. How do you say "junk" in Chinese with a Spanish accent? Floi Yetto?

MEP001

Reaction score
Mitch said:
I was told not to input more than 60 lbs of dry air after having several failures.
If that were the case, I'd probably switch back to electric pumps. The FloJets are supposed to be rated to 90 PSI, and if they can't handle their own rating I don't want them.

bigleo48

Reaction score
My flowjets work great, but I have replaced a few over the years...mostly with air leaks via the muffler. I use clean dry air and run them at about 60lbs.

BTW, I don't chuck the bad ones, I use them at the wash to transfer chems/fluids and pump out tanks.

BigLeo

jeffs

Reaction score
flojet

I have over 30 in use and only replace 3 to 4 a year. I have found that the cheap air regulator's sometimes do not hold the setting so if your compressor is set to 125-175 that is what goes to your pump when it is not pumping. I have placed a heavy duty regulator just off my compressor i set that at 85 psi and then use small aro regulator at each pump for fine adjustment. When I do have a pump fail it is air leaking at the exhust manifold but still pumps. One last thing if nothing is coming out this could be to over pressure on the soliniod's and they cant open up until pressure is released (kip are the worst)

MEP001

Reaction score
jeffs said:
(kip are the worst)
It has nothing to do with the brand of solenoid. It's the MOPD of the solenoid, which is determined by the orifice. 5/32" orifice solenoids have a Maximum Operating Pressure Differential of 100 PSI, so if the pressure on the inlet is greater than that, the coil can't pull the plunger up against it.