What's new

Florida Owners - I Need your advice

Louise

Reaction score
With the aid of my alarm company, surveillance system and the local sheriff's dept. we caught 3 burglars 3 weeks ago. However, now the asst. DA doesn't really know what to charge them with.

They attacked the ACW - which he thinks should be classified as a vending machine. He doesn't think he can charge them with burglary because the ACW is "not in a building". He can charge them with "molesting a vending machine" and possession of burglary tools, but that is it.

Have you guys run into this. Frustrating!!!!!

Randy

Reaction score
What would they be charged with if they attacked an ATM machine at a bank?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
The donut shop must sell some good stuff in your city Louise. I'd ask about the ATM but vandalism is also a charge, I'd let the DA know that if he doesn't do something that you will have his picture on the front page of the paper, discussing the lack of action on his part. I'd go talk with the newspaper, and find out the name of the publisher, if the DA thinks that you actually know him, you should get some action. I used that once, the DA knew that I knew the publisher and could get his picture on the front page.

Dirt

Laser Blade
Reaction score
ACW could be similar to where you pay your tolls on the highway. They are not attached to a building.

jprb

Reaction score
The dollar amount to replace the ACW should make this a Felony Property Damage, at least. If they got any money from it, Felony Stealing ($500 and up in Missouri).

JPRB

Sam's Wash

Reaction score
I agree that depending on the amount of damage you could be looking at a felony. I had vandalism at my car wash once and the damage exceeded the $1,000 dollar felony limit in Florida. Unfortunately my guy wasn?t caught so I did get the prosecution level.

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
Louise, I had a similar crime at one of my washes. Video cameras caught them about 4:00a.m. Within 24 hours we posted photos and a $500.00 reward at all of our washes and learned a name, address and etc. Police were given this info and they still wouldn't do anything stating that the D.A. felt there was not enough info. I finally told them I would contact the newspaper with this info and the D.A. put out a $20,000. warrant.

Since posting the photos and reward at all of our locations we have not had a problem since then, however the culprit has never been picked up but it did solve the problem with the bad guys knowing they could be identified by posting their mug on a wanted poster.

So Pitzer's suggestion is right on.