What's new

Floor heat renewal

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
A recently completed floor heat renewal project.

With Crete-Heat R10 insulation and 1/2" O2 barrier PEX under 4" of concrete.

IMG_1460.jpg

Flir pic today at 11*F outdoor temp
20211218T072752.jpg

Compared to uninsulated system at 20*F outdoor temp
20211217T091547.jpg

Reaction score
Wow, that looks great! Could you describe the work? Was it an overpour of the existing system? Or was the old stuff ripped out? How long did it take? Was it a DIY project? Thanks for putting Crete-Heat on my radar!

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Before the job, my partner and I agreed, “This is going to be our last floor heat job.”

The Crete-Heat job was a tear-out.
IMG_1452.jpg

A 50 year old system that had leaked for several years.

Exploratory tear-out found enough age-related issues to warrant complete replacement.
IMG_1451.jpg

Energy code required R6 insulation. New stuff for us so I did some research. Fortunate to find a local CH supplier…with inventory!

The 1st bay CH learning curve was about 2 hours because:
  • CH is too expensive to waste
  • The bays were angled
  • We had to figure out which tool worked best for cutting CH (corded Sawsall with an 80T hack saw blade)
  • We’re a couple of old guys who must think about how best to do EVERYTHING!
A good day’s work for us and a helper to get it in place and most of another day to run all the PEX. All told, we probably saved a full day over tying the PEX to remesh.

Pull the PEX off the uncoiler, stick it down between the knobs, step walk it down to the turn, repeat until the loop is complete. We stapled the turns with a Peter Mangone staple tool…for extra security.

The best part was the reduced aches and pains from not having to squat, bend over, or crawl around on hands and knees as much.

I’ve already adjusted the boiler settings twice…looks like I’ll need to again.

After the job, my partner said, “This will be our last floor heat job without Crete-Heat.”

IMG_1461.jpg IMG_1469.jpg IMG_1463.jpg