What's new

floor heat leak

Eric H

Reaction score
While testing my floor heat system on monday I found I have a significant leak.
I have 1 1/2" CPVC that feeds a distribution box midway between the equipment room and the 2 furthest bays. I chipped out a hole where I thought the leak was only to find out that the leak seems to be about 12" further over:mad: Patching the CPVC isn't a problem but I did damage one heat tube with the air hammer. Do I need to use one of the compression repair couplings or can I use the cinchcrimp couplings?
http://www.wattsradiant.com/literat...PEX_Instructions_FieldRepairs-EN-20050204.pdf
Looks like I answered my own question while looking for a picture of the couplings!
I am photo documenting this project and will post later. In the mean time, any helpful experience anyone can pass on is appreciated.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
My water main had a major leak a couple years ago, I had to cut out several feet of concrete to get to it... and yes I cut through the floor heat pex in 5 or 6 spots. I repaired them all with john guest fittings. Cheap, easy. They all worked great except one that was just hard to reach - it has a very slow leak that I just cant get sorted out, but it leaks slowly enough that I cant seem to find the time to chisel out more concrete & fix it.

If I had to do it over again I honestly dont know if I'd use crimp fittings or the john guest fittings.

Eric H

Reaction score
Thanks Paul.

I've been up half the night concerned that my original assessment that the CPVC leak is about a foot further over is wrong. I know that the water can travel quite far underground before it appears. I can go about another 6 feet with only the 1 heat tube near the area I am working but after that it quickly gets into the area near the manifold that has 12 supply and 12 return tubes. Problem is that there should not be any joints in the CPVC until a tee that is 16 feet from where I am working, located directly under the 24 tube area.