What's new

Floor heat Insulate or not

Bill Manke

Reaction score
When doing floor heat are you insulating under slab first? Mine have always been without insulation but been talking to a builder and they say it should be insulated.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I installed the rigid, tongue and groove, foam inulation under my floorslab.

Attachments

Eric H

Reaction score
The insulation is usually spec'ed in the tubing layout instructions.

Beyond that, someone here (I think it was Galen) advised to poor a 4' footing around the apron. To clarify: around the apron, not the building perimeter. I think the 4' footing would drive up the building costs so I plan on putting rigid insulation vertical around the apron. This should keep the heat for "leaking out" under the driveway.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
25 years ago we did not put down insulation. Now we do. I'm sure it helps... but heat rises and I doubt if there is much heat loss down into the ground...not 4' down anyway.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
heat rises and I doubt if there is much heat loss down into the ground
yes it does - conduction down into the ground will cause much more heat loss than convective heat loss (ie heat rising). Think about it this way, which will get you cold faster: sitting on 20 degree concrete or standing in 20 degree air? Thats why those "stadium seats" sell so well.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
yes it does - conduction down into the ground will cause much more heat loss than convective heat loss (ie heat rising). Think about it this way, which will get you cold faster: sitting on 20 degree concrete or standing in 20 degree air? Thats why those "stadium seats" sell so well.
Good point Paul. Thanks. I guess I'm not too old to learn after all:)

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Hey Paul, maybe its because your butt/etc are more sensitive than the whole body:eek:)

dpessler

Reaction score
Put the insulation down. We have one with & one without - big difference. Also, make sure you keep the tubing near the surface. We used "dobe" concrete bricks & rebar to hold the mesh up. The concrete guys never pull it up! Doug

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I just wonder if the concrete with insulation under it would be more likely to collapse (long term wise) under heavy vehicles than if the concrete was poured directly over a small rock, sand, or even hard dirt BASE. It seems that engineers can be pretty fixated on soil testing under any kind of loads which could include heavy vehicles.

I wonder if there has been any settling from anyone caused by using a less than ideal insulation?

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
We have floor heat which is only the first 3 feet perimeter around our car wash, so that doors don't stick and to reduce ice. It also heats the washes, it has 2" of blueboard foam under the sand, and in 15 years is still in perfect condition. I think the concrete disperses the weight over a larger area.