What's new

FloJet issues

traveler17

Reaction score
So worked on keeping air lines dry and didn’t solve my issue at one location. When the foam brush option turns on it pumps great for a minute then starts slowing down like it’s running out of gas, stops pumping completely then will either go back to pumping after a minute or I have to Adjust chemical regulator to get it going again. I’ve never had any issue like this Any and all input appreciated
Thank you!!!

soapy

Reaction score
You don't want the air pressure that injects air into the foaming brush solution set higher than the air pressure going to the flojet. Set the injection air to about 20 psi less than the air to the flojet.

MEP001

Reaction score
When the foam brush option turns on it pumps great for a minute then starts slowing down like it’s running out of gas, stops pumping completely then will either go back to pumping after a minute or I have to Adjust chemical regulator to get it going again.
Sounds like a failing Flojet.

traveler17

Reaction score
Sounds like a failing Flojet.
I agree, I’ve swapped it out 2 times since I bought this place in November. It’s getting really annoying because it’s probably something stupid. Is there anything that could make it fail so fast. What causes air-lock?

Rudy

Reaction score
It could possibly be ice.

Pneumatic driven pumps work when the pressurized air is allowed to expand. This causes cooling. Cooling and moisture cause ice.

You state that you removed the moisture. How did you do this?

My wash uses a LOT of ARO pneumatic pumps. On certain days (usually cooler with higher humidity's), the pumps would pump, then slow down, and either quit....or go Boom, expelling ice crystals.

Simply putting an air filter before the pump did NOT solve the problem.

The problem got solved when I built an aftercooler for my air compressor. I run the hot air from the air compressor pump, through a fan driven heat exchanger. This setup cools the hot air, and the water condenses out BEFORE going into the air tank.

I haven't had a FloJet or ARO pump slow or stall since......

traveler17

Reaction score
It could possibly be ice.

Pneumatic driven pumps work when the pressurized air is allowed to expand. This causes cooling. Cooling and moisture cause ice.

You state that you removed the moisture. How did you do this?

My wash uses a LOT of ARO pneumatic pumps. On certain days (usually cooler with higher humidity's), the pumps would pump, then slow down, and either quit....or go Boom, expelling ice crystals.

Simply putting an air filter before the pump did NOT solve the problem.

The problem got solved when I built an aftercooler for my air compressor. I run the hot air from the air compressor pump, through a fan driven heat exchanger. This setup cools the hot air, and the water condenses out BEFORE going into the air tank.

I haven't had a FloJet or ARO pump slow or stall since......
Only thing I did was put in air filters as there were none when I bought this place. I’ve never seen ice crystals as you described. Do you like the ARO pumps ? Thank you for the advice

Rudy

Reaction score
A lot of people don't care for the ARO's. I've learned how to fix them over the years....so they work just fine for me. I've sourced the orings for the air section, so I can rebuild an air section for 10 bucks vs. $75 to get the official ARO kit. Out of 10 pumps, I've only had one wet section break a diaphragm in 20+ years.

Inline air filters will not remove much if any water vaper from the hot air.

Google search air compressor aftercooler.

I built mine for about $500.

Randy

Reaction score
What model Flojet pump are you using and which system are you using them on? We only use the Flojet pumps on the Foam brush system. We've gotten away from using any air pumps. We use a electric Procon pump controlled by a IDX MX-8 controller, they are out of stock at KR. If your handy there's no reason why you couldn't build a controller out of a bank of relays. We don't have a after cooler on our air compressors or a automatic tank drain and we don't have any problems with our single Flojet pump. We use a G55 pump soda pop pump on our Foam brush systems. 30 years ago we had ARO pumps and they were terrible to say the least.

traveler17

Reaction score
What model Flojet pump are you using and which system are you using them on? We only use the Flojet pumps on the Foam brush system. We've gotten away from using any air pumps. We use a electric Procon pump controlled by a IDX MX-8 controller, they are out of stock at KR. If your handy there's no reason why you couldn't build a controller out of a bank of relays. We don't have a after cooler on our air compressors or a automatic tank drain and we don't have any problems with our single Flojet pump. We use a G55 pump soda pop pump on our Foam brush systems. 30 years ago we had ARO pumps and they were terrible to say the least.
I’m using G57s at both sites on each low pressure option. The pump rack and low pressure tanks are from an older etowah valley unit. Getting ready to put new blocks and regulators on all the low pressure options there. Only issue is the foam brush at the new site, never have had an issue w these like this. So the g55s are only the FB? Why only use it for the FB and not the other low pressure options?

Randy

Reaction score
I’m using G57s at both sites on each low pressure option. The pump rack and low pressure tanks are from an older etowah valley unit. Getting ready to put new blocks and regulators on all the low pressure options there. Only issue is the foam brush at the new site, never have had an issue w these like this. So the g55s are only the FB? Why only use it for the FB and not the other low pressure options?
When you replace your valve blocks use stainless steel blocks. We only use the Flojet G55 because we don't use Flojet pumps on any of the other systems. The only difference between the G57 and the G55 is the inlet and discharge fittings. The fitting on the G55 are stainless steel. If your using the Flojet G57 for Tire or engine cleaner and some presoaks you want to use a G57 with the Viton or the Kalrez model, they are made for the harsher chemicals.

traveler17

Reaction score
When you replace your valve blocks use stainless steel blocks. We only use the Flojet G55 because we don't use Flojet pumps on any of the other systems. The only difference between the G57 and the G55 is the inlet and discharge fittings. The fitting on the G55 are stainless steel. If your using the Flojet G57 for Tire or engine cleaner and some presoaks you want to use a G57 with the Viton or the Kalrez model, they are made for the harsher chemicals.
Thx. Appreciate it!!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
1. What are you running the pressure at for the Flo Jet and what for the air injection. 2. Are you in a climate where it gets below 40 degrees. Expanding air at the brush could cause icing. 3. Are their foamers in line that could be getting clogged and impeding flow?

traveler17

Reaction score
1. What are you running the pressure at for the Flo Jet and what for the air injection. 2. Are you in a climate where it gets below 40 degrees. Expanding air at the brush could cause icing. 3. Are their foamers in line that could be getting clogged and impeding flow?
So I’m in SE North Carolina , yeah it gets below 40 but this has been going on when it’s been in the 60s and up. Just bought this place and no foamers that I see or aware of. My running pressure for chem I keep around 70 and 30 for air. It comes out just right and it’s the settings I have always used at my other site and never had an issue. It’s really odd, it picks and chooses when it wants to sound like it’s running out of steam, but it’s more often than not. This place is set up like I personally haven’t seen. Air and chemical lines come off the blocks and splice into each other under the rack and one line runs to the bays. All poly braid