What's new

FLOJET G57 pump with Parker check valve

Green_As_a_Gourd

Reaction score
I had a Parker C400B check valve fail open which let the high pressure get back to and destroy my FLOJET pump on my tire cleaner. I replaced the pump and check valve and everything was working. A few days later the tire cleaner in just one bay (the one with the new check valve) would not work. I pulled the water line going to the check valve and it started pumping again so I replaced the new check with another new check valve. Again it worked. A couple days later the tire cleaner wouldn't work again.

This was the second brand new check valve that I installed. I turned the tire cleaner on and nothing happened....I tapped on the check valve and it started to flow so I know there is some type of issue with the valve but 2 brand new valves failing so quickly seems suspect. I am using a G573215D FLOJET supplied with about 50 psi. The crack pressure on the C400B according to Parker is 5 psi. I have yet another new check valve coming tomorrow but I'm interested in anyone's input on what I am seeing. I am only 5 months in so this is all new to me. Thanks in advance for any advice.

MEP001

Reaction score
Where is the check valve you keep replacing? They're usually in the bay at the boom. Regardless, the new one could be bad or there may be another one letting a small amount of flow back, which will get trapped between the pump and the solenoids which prevents them from opening. Solenoids have a MOPD rating (Maximum operating pressure differential) and if the inlet pressure to the solenoid is above that it can't pull the plunger open against it. Next time it happens, look closely at the gauge. It may look like it's sitting at zero, but it might be wrapped all the way around and against the wrong side of the peg.

If there's not air going to the bays to foam the tire cleaner, I recommend a pop-off or regulator to protect the pump and solenoid from damage.

Green_As_a_Gourd

Reaction score
The check valve is like you said above the boom. The pump is located right next to the solenoids and I didn't see a check valve there but I wasn't looking for one either. The solenoid going to this bay is bay 2 of 3 and there is a solenoid on each side of it that are working(they are all on the same manifold block). I for sure want to get something in place to protect the pump from this happening again and I had not thought of a pop-off but that makes complete sense.

MEP001

Reaction score
Since you have two stacks for your tire cleaner you could just replace the air regulator with one like this:

Assuming both the air and liquid are on one check valve together, this regulator will bleed off excess pressure and prevent damage to the FloJet.

I've also been using the Fluid Controls check valve with Teflon seat, and I've had no failures. The Parker valves were good when they were a ball check, but they went to a poppet style and those are crap.

Green_As_a_Gourd

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice. That seems definitive enough on changing away from the Parker valve. Hopefully a different check valve solves the issue.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I will add that I recently had problem on a one year old etowah valley pumping unit where brand new flojets were stalling. This is on a system with a refrigerated dryer on the air supply too. I think I traced it to a bad air pressure regulator feeding the air inlet on the flojet. When the flow of air stopped, the pressure would creep up past the set pressure and past the operating pressure of the flojets. I changed to regulator last week and they haven't stalled since.

Green_As_a_Gourd

Reaction score
Embarrassed but the problem is solved I think....also embarassed that I posted this in the general thread without realizing there was a break down thread. I replaced my check valve with the recommended Fluid Controls check valve and had the exact same issue. When I removed the check valve everything worked, so except of course without the check valve, if I turned the high pressure on I would be in bad shape. The only thing left that I could fathom was something up with the solenoid valve......I had already checked the coil and it was good. I took the plunger out and compared it to another one and it didn't look good. Swapped the plunger with another unused one on the manifold and BAM everything is working..........So I assume the valve was only partially opening and not allowing enough pressure through to open the check valve.

MEP001

Reaction score
Posting in the correct sub-forum is more about getting your post seen by the right audience than it is about where you're supposed to put it.

Good thinking on checking the solenoid plunger.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
also embarassed that I posted this in the general thread without realizing there was a break down thread.
The break down section is more for those creative and "out of the box" fixes and workarounds. It doesn't seem to get used as much as I would have thought. As MEP said, posting in the best sub-forum is about getting seen by the right people. Self-Serve might have been the absolute best area, but it falls into general as well. Definitely nothing to be embarrassed about. And hey, you're green as a gourd, so you're not going to do everything perfect for a while.