What's new

Flojet/Compressor problem

OASIS WASH

Reaction score
water/oil is getting to my flojets causing them to seize up. once I unhook the air line and manually press the end causing the water/oil to shoot out, I can hook it back up and it starts to work again. my compressor is only 8 months old and it has a water separator that I drain often. why am I getting oil at my flojet pumps which are about 150 away from the compressor. could the water separator just be too old and not doing its job anymore?

thank you!

MEP001

Reaction score
Did you run the break-in procedure on the compressor?

How often do you drain the compressor tank?

OASIS WASH

Reaction score
Unfortunately I purchased this wash 5 months ago so I wasn't there during the break in period. I will say I haven't had any problems with the flojets until the last month in which the generator use has gone up. I try to drain the tank once a week, maybe that isn't enough? I assumed with the water/separator it would catch the water before getting to my pumps. I drain that once a week as well but some is getting past it.

OurTown

Reaction score
Is there a separator near the Flowjet or just at the compressor?

OurTown

Reaction score
The air might cool down by the time it gets there causing the moisture to drop out causing water droplets.

OurTown

Reaction score
I'm no expert on brand. Someone else better chime in.

MEP001

Reaction score
You might try the break-in procedure, won't hurt anything to try. I did it on a compressor that had been in service for a number of years - it had more oil than water in the tank when it was drained, and after the break-in it almost stopped using oil. Just disconnect the output and run it with no load for 30 minutes (an hour if it's two-stage) and hook it back up.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've seen lots of those, they seem to be problem-free. I took one apart not too long ago because a piece of trash had gotten under the auto-drain valve and it was leaking. It was easy to service.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Keep in my excess humidity in the pump room is going to contribute to the problem, so take care of any major leaks and ensure good ventilation.

Pumps are also much less likely to stall if you apply air to them only while they are in use, so If you can do that it will help too.

Randy

Reaction score
We must be living right. We don’t have any filters or moisture separators on any of our air systems at the car washes suppling air to our Flo-Jet pumps. We drain our air tanks about every 90 days or so. We very seldom ever have a problem with any of the Flo-Jet pumps. We do run our air compressor slow. The humidity here today is 96%.

MEP001

Reaction score
Is there a brand or part number on it? I'm sure it can be found cheaper.

br549ms

Reaction score
A few questions

What size compressor and tank do you have?

Is the water / oil mixture getting to all of your equipment or just showing up on the one flojet?

I agree with RANDY, no problems here in Mississippi either, weekly drainage should be fine.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I've seen lots of those, they seem to be problem-free. I took one apart not too long ago because a piece of trash had gotten under the auto-drain valve and it was leaking. It was easy to service.
Had that too. If it leaks just right instead of auto drain it's continuous drain.

OurTown

Reaction score
What if your compressor ran a lot? Would the air coming out be hotter or carry more moisture than if it cycled much less? During the winter our auto blows out the lines instead of weeping water. It cycles after every wash so on busy days it runs a lot.