What's new

FLEX-SERVE paradigm recommends VENDING

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
With the rush for some exterior washes to offer FREE vacuums, how many also offer profitable vending items to their captive audience? :confused:

Vacuuming activities, free or paid, prompt consumers to appreciate the convenience of vended consumables and supplies. However, most locations needlessly overlook the obvious revenues generated by consumers who are thirsty, hungry and in need of other stuff that can be purchased with the simple swipe of a card or acceptable paper money. The bigger and more diversified the vended offerings, the more revenue generated. Why send customers elsewhere for revenues that will easily fall in your lap?:(

And this reminder especially targets EXPRESS EXTERIORS that generate significant numbers of customers who use their FREE vacuum area and are more prone to offsetting their bargain vacuuming experience with a beverage or snack... and maybe a packaged detail towel or wet-nap.

WAKE UP and read my lips: CAPTIVE AUDIENCE!!!
:eek:

Once again, even more $$$$ needlessly left on-the-table.
WHY?!!!

-Steve

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Often wondered the same myself. Especialy wih the central Vac Systems.

You could probably set up combo vacs to vac for free and have customers pay for shampoo and fragrance. Vending too seems like a no brainer.

Uncle Sam

Reaction score
Steve,

Couldn't agree more. We have a company here in California that is building their 13th Express wash site right now. They automatically install a ShurVend vending machine at every site near the vacuum area to provide the services you are talking about. There are good vending profits to be made this way; it is surprising that more EE washes do not do it.

Uncle Sam :)

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am surprised that this is even a topic on this forum.:confused:

Why would anyone not take advatntage of the myriad vending possibilities with the express carwash format?

To quote myself from back in my Jr. High days: "Der!!!!!!"

chadrpalmer

Reaction score
the one down side i see occasionally is that when you sell "detailing" supplies, you are obligating yourself somewhat to let people hang out and "detail" when you have twelve vacuum spaces, and you are trying to wash 600 cars on a sunny Saturday, this can cause problems.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Site Management Makes Sense

Nothing new about the misuse of the vacuum area, given that customers can bring their own stuff with them, too. :eek:

The exposure exists for customers to abuse vacuum space anytime. I've heard some real horror stories of stinky stuff people vacuum up and contaminate the central system!

Preventive signage will help mitigate misuse but as self-serve operators will attest, on-site attendants are the most powerful deterrence to inconsiderate misuse.

Bottom-Line: Managed sites are the most effective way to safeguard overall efficacy.;)

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
the one down side i see occasionally is that when you sell "detailing" supplies, you are obligating yourself somewhat to let people hang out and "detail" when you have twelve vacuum spaces, and you are trying to wash 600 cars on a sunny Saturday, this can cause problems.
IMNSHO I think this level is not an issue. I say this because I jhave a location with 11 Vacs and it does not seem to be an issue on a 600 car day. This is mainly because 20% or less use the vac area.

Now, at one place with 6 easily accessable vacs + 2 more, it can be an issue.

Another reason why unregulated free vacs can prove problematic based on space constraints. Would hate to have freeloaders occupying space and wash customers not able to use the vac.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
People usually leave things off the table because they are ignorant (not stupid) or they do so "deliberately" because they don't have the inclination.

For example, cooked spinach is good for you but I choose to leave it off my table because I don't like the taste.

Simiarly, there are people who cobble a carwash site together with wand-bays, an in-bay automatic and an express tunnel with free use vacuums but offer no DIFM services. The owner may realize the potential profit from DIFM services but he/she is not inclined to take on the labor, management and skill necessary to provide them.

However, I have to agree with Steve about vending. I've seen a few express washes that have no vending machines as well as some that offer free use of wiping towels and window cleaner.

This may seem like a nice touch but it may set the stage for consumers to start questioning. Free vacuums, free window cleaner, free towels with a $3.00 or $4.00 carwash? Before you know it, you may have customers thinking, golly gee, maybe $4.00 is even too much to pay!

I have friend/client in the N.E. with a high volume express exterior wash squeezed on a small lot adjacent to a high-volume gas site. We worked together making a few changes and now he is extremely pleased with his vending sales as well as the profits he is racking up by offering several express detail services.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
These days every penny counts. Maximimizing revenues while reducing expenses simultaneously is key to survival for many carwash operators, myself included. The extra it takes to manage vending is worth it to me.

An operator has to be careful about giving away too much as well as reducing the perceived value of a good or service.

Once something is given away, taking it away or charging (even at your cost) is near impossible w/out appearing greedy.

carnut2

Express Exterior
Reaction score
Our concern with adding a vending area is the maintenance/change machine issue as well as what we feel will be increased loitering, need for more trash receptacles etc.

We are kicking around adding express detail to our year old express exterior tunnel because there isn't anything like it on our side of town However, we are heading in to winter and our site is really not set up for a waiting area for customers. It should only take about 15 minutes per car.

We don't want to be the ignorant few but we have a lot to learn.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Kick this around, too.

Glad you're considering an upgrade to flex-serve because we're approaching the second busiest season for detailers: Pre-Winter Conditioning. :)

Since you've apparently recognized the shortcomings of a free-standing express exterior, you might as well kick around express detailing along with vending. The business is there; It's likely you've simply ignored it.:rolleyes:

If you already offer free vacuums, the trash collection challenges should be well understood. Housekeeping is a necessary responsibility for all businesses. Vending will be little burden compared to the offsetting direct and collateral profitability.;)

As for loitering, it only happens where prudent management oversight is non-existent. I'm puzzled as to why the trepidation about loitering... unless you intend to vend wine and beer.:D

Think Positive!

-Steve

carnut2

Express Exterior
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. We have a 130 foot tunnel with only 5 vaccuum spots and 5 employee spots. On a busy Saturday all our spots are full and there are cars waiting. We currently have no rules about bringing your own detail items on site, so we have people doing every inch of their car either before or after washing (Thus our interest in express detailing!)

Our second concern is, we have auto sentry gates and no kiosk. How will we differentiate between an express car and a detail car with out live interaction?

When we built the building we anticipated a vending space but never have made it active because we did not want the hassle of replacing lost change or ordering supplies for it. We had enough on our plate learning a new business from scratch. Also we operate in a state where service is non-taxable but vending I assume would add a new layer to our end of year tax. What kind of profit is on the table? How are you figuring your margins?

Now that I've written this, my reasons NOT to vend seem petty, especially in light of profit to be had from our stream of guests.

Chiefs

Reaction score
We've been exterior only since we switched in 1997. In 1999 we put in 4 pay vacs a 4 item fragrance vendor, 2 Armor All machines, a window cleaner, a disposable towel and an Armor-All Cleaner machine - all mechanical, no electric required. Each year between Vacs and vending we take in around $25K. On busy days, we can have a few people waiting to vac but its not a big deal because while we may have a 500-600 car Saturday from June to November, they are rare. On our really big days in the winter, its too damn cold for most people to bother to get out and vacuum.

I do not believe in the free vacuum gimmick because there are costs involved in operating them and maintaining the area. I also do not believe in them because I do not for one minute believe that people are going to go out of their way for a free vacuum; Wash their car with because we off it; Wash more often because of it; Or, pass up a competitor that has them if they are not getting the same great wash from that competitor (remember every car we wash gets the "Works" while all of my competitors use a traditional 3-4 tier wash format) as they are higher priced than we are and do not provide a better car wash (I know because I go and get my car washed there from time to time just to see what the competition is doing). A grocery store may run lost leaders to get people in the store and that's fine. They sell many other things. But we are a car wash. If you want your vehicle cleaned inside or outside, you are going to pay for the service for that is all we do.

Hey, maybe I can build another tunnel next to my existing one and turn it into a drive-thru beverage or grocery store.

We do give away a free moist, disposable towel (upon request).