What's new

Fleck brine valve leaking through

APW

Reaction score
On my Fleck head my brine valve is not seating all the way after it is done doing the brine fill and it keeps filling the salt tank with water. I need to order a new one but is there anything I can do until I can get a new one here next week. I grabbed the plunger with a pair of pliers and pulled it out a little bit and it quit filling the tank. 430

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Not sure what to do about the valve, but you could just not regenerate until you get it fixed. Or bypass the softener entirely.

MEP001

Reaction score
Not sure what to do about the valve, but you could just not regenerate until you get it fixed. Or bypass the softener entirely.
I would do that. You aren't going to do anything any harm by running hard water for a week.

Rudy

Reaction score
Also....if you have an RO machine....do NOT under any circumstances run hard water through it. It'll ruin the membranes ASAP.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you have a touchless auto you will be putting out dirty cars. I say, if you can make it regenerate without a lot of trouble, do so.
That's true, depending on how hard the water is. It might be best to unplug the softener and regenerate when he can be around to pull the brine valve plunger back out when it's done.

MEP001

Reaction score
Also....if you have an RO machine....do NOT under any circumstances run hard water through it. It'll ruin the membranes ASAP.
Again, that depends on how hard the water is. The wash I just took over hasn't had the softener working in years and the membrane isn't fouled.

APW

Reaction score
It's super hard. 25 grains. I guess I'll just have to monitor it and pull the plunger out when it does brine fill.

MEP001

Reaction score
Is there a secondary float valve in the tank? If so, make sure it's set just above the normal full level and let it keep the brine level until you get the replacement part.

water guy

Reaction score
Again, that depends on how hard the water is. The wash I just took over hasn't had the softener working in years and the membrane isn't fouled.
Where part of Tx ? Do you have water like that?