What's new

First of the month events

soapy

Reaction score
I don't know if other car washes see this happening but around the first of every month but I see my dumpsters fill up with food that has been unused or opened. I see it every month at multiple locations. Pretty sure it is the food stamp people who have not used it so they just throw it away knowing they can get all fresh food each month when the cards get recharged. Use it or loose it I have heard them say so they spend every penny on the card. On a few occasions I have been at Sam's club around the first of the month and I have seen restaurant owners stocking up and paying with 4 or 5 food cards.

John J Spokas

Reaction score
I don't believe that is how it works. In Illinois "food stamps" are actually a debit card and any amount within the balance of that debit card is paid for groceries. There are exclusions for instance alcoholic beverages can't be purchased with the card and there are other items not permitted to be charged to the card.

MEP001

Reaction score
I see grocery bags of stuff left at my wash all the time, usually just stacked on a vac island. I'll have to watch and see if it happens right after the first of the month.

I'm pretty disgusted with the way food cards are misused here. I was at a convenience store one night getting a drink, and three girls came out of a really nice car, hair all "did," probably $500 spent among them, piled a whole bunch of snacks on the counter and paid with a Lone Star card. They shouldn't be ably to buy anything with the card if it has sales tax on it, but everything did.

Randy

Reaction score
Not too long ago someone left me about 8 or 10 cases of assorted fresh fruits and vegetables. I was pissed, what I’m I going to do with this stuff. So I hauled it all out to the parking strip. Opened a case of carrots and tilted it at an angle. By the time my wife and I left in an hour there was only a couple of bags of apples left and by morning everything was gone. When I dump the garbage and I find canned food I set it aside and when I get a box full I drop it off at the food bank, they are always happy to get it. It doesn't take long to fill a box.

I’ve got a friend who has a convenience store on the corner of a large apartment complex. He’s told me that over 85% of his food sales are from EBT cards or food stamp cards. The people who get these cards aren’t brightest. He sells his food for twice the cost at the grocery store or more, there’s a large grocery store a half a block away where there food dollar will go further and they still come to the “C” store to buy their food. He’s said that they come in early in the morning for breakfast in their PJ’s and slippers, hair a mess and they come back at around lunch time dressed the same.

soapy

Reaction score
I was told half of take and bake pizzas are bought with EBT cards. I still call EBT cards food stamps. My sister in law worked for the state preparing fraud cases against abusers of EBT and unemployment insurance. She would prepare several cases per week for fraud but few of them ever get prosecuted.

New Washdog

Reaction score
Hit a nerve with this post!!!!

We see lots of good food left in our trash at our vacuum stations. We in Vermont have several food pantries run by non-profit entities and public schools providing food for anyone willing to show up and pick it up, with no income guidelines etcetera! They hand out prepackaged bags of food and from what I hear from recipients, with no options to pick and chose what to take. It's disgusting and obscene on how much food gets thrown away weekly by people that pick it up and then decide they are going to throw it away because they don't care for it or are to lazy to cook!

In Vermont the homeless are put up in hotels and deliver two meals a day! This crap has to stop!!!!!!