What's new

Fired a customer yesterday

mac

Reaction score
Had a guy call and basically complained about the poor job my automatic did on his tall vans. Then he asked for a discount to wash his 6 tall vans. Then he complained some more. About this time I realized being polite wasn’t the best approach. So I told him to leave and never return. Felt good. Some will never be happy.

Randy

Reaction score
Mac you didn't handle this right. All you need to say is I'm sorry but we don't give any discounts for tall vans and walk away. I never tell anyone I'm the owner, if they complain I give them my cell phone number and tell them to call the owner, 99% of the time they don't call. Let them complain all they want I'm only after their business.

Greg_T

Reaction score
1 Licola Road, Heyfield, Victoria, Australia
I find that if I am at the wash, people will come to see me about every little trivial thing possible. But very few people will bother to actually ring the mobile phone number that is posted everywhere around the wash.

However I do agree with Mac about firing customers. At our auto workshop, we have told a few that they really should find another workshop to deal with. I've not regretted it once yet.

mac

Reaction score
Mac you didn't handle this right. All you need to say is I'm sorry but we don't give any discounts for tall vans and walk away. I never tell anyone I'm the owner, if they complain I give them my cell phone number and tell them to call the owner, 99% of the time they don't call. Let them complain all they want I'm only after their business.
Randy that is exactly what I did. After the third time I decided to take a more direct approach. The fun part was when he said he would tell all his friends and I said, “You really have friends?”

soonermajic

Reaction score
I worked half a day prepping cars, while my 2 guys took a few hrs off for shopping & eating lunch.
Lady contacts mybwife via FB, & says wash scratched her car & her cousins that day! Wife tells her go up there, owner is there.
Well, those 2 crack heads, who had backed into things/cars, came & i set em straight.
I rattled off so much BS & stuff their heads were spinning. They apologized & said they'd tell all their friends how good of a wash this was. Ha

fastlx

Reaction score
I see alot of customers and they ask if I'm the owner. I say "yes" and 99% of the time they compliment me on the wash. I'll give free washes, self serve time and free vacuums to customers when I'm on site. They all appreciate it and really don't want me to give them anything. I guess I'm lucky.

Randy

Reaction score
I worked half a day prepping cars, while my 2 guys took a few hrs off for shopping & eating lunch.
Lady contacts mybwife via FB, & says wash scratched her car & her cousins that day! Wife tells her go up there, owner is there.
Well, those 2 crack heads, who had backed into things/cars, came & i set em straight.
I rattled off so much BS & stuff their heads were spinning. They apologized & said they'd tell all their friends how good of a wash this was. Ha
if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull $hit

Evan

Reaction score
Occasionally, I encounter unreasonable customers. As a businessman, it is a learning curve to coordinate quickly and effectively so that both buyers and sellers are satisfied and their interests are not compromised. I am learning this wisdom. Navifalcon.com

soapy

Reaction score
I saw my father once respond to a customer he had fired who said" I will tell all my friends not to come here"..... He said " Good, If they are anything like you I would not want them anyway."

MEP001

Reaction score
I saw my father once respond to a customer he had fired who said" I will tell all my friends not to come here"..... He said " Good, If they are anything like you I would not want them anyway."
I've told dozens of people that.

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
It can be a tough business. You often need to bite your tongue.
When I catch the "bad ones" I try to educate them a bit and explain that the mud, grass, drywall compound etc. will not just go down the drain.
And to please not do that again. Most are understanding, some are just complete idiots.
But one happy customer will tell maybe one or two people, one unhappy customer will tell everyone they know how bad your wash is, even if it's their fault.

kkewashsystems

Reaction score
Washing and Cleaning are always subjective. Clean to one person may not be clean to another. Hear the customer out, mostly they just want to vent out somewhere and usually it is the person on the ground.

If the customer washed 6 vans, didn't he notice the cleaning issue in his first van? Most of the time they just want someone to listen to their complaint, that's all.

Even if you do not want to service his vehicles in future always part off amicably. There are enough places on the internet where they can rant about your service and that will affect your future business.