What's new

Fill in the Blank: Owning a car wash in 2020____________________________________

Debra Gorgos

Reaction score
Fill in the Blank: Being a car wash owner during the year of 2020 has been _____________________________________________________________________________

Greg_T

Reaction score
1 Licola Road, Heyfield, Victoria, Australia
A bit of a roller coaster. Depending upon the current state of Covid-19 in Victoria, Australia, the customers at the carwash have been up and down. Carwashes in our major city (Melbourne) are not allowed to open at all currently, and I REALLY feel for them. So overall, our year will be ok, but it's certainly had its challenges.

Randy

Reaction score
This year has been absolutely phenomenal, revenue way up, no problem getting parts or supplies. Labor was a little touch and go but we found a new guy to do the daily cleanup. We didn’t lose a day of business because of the pandemic. So I’d have to say life is good.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Debra & others,

... thankfully a year when the price of gas & diesel has remained relatively low & the weather has been reasonably self service car wash friendly!

We have also noticed as inflation creeps upward .... $5 bills & higher in our in bay bill validators are increasing from the previous proportions in relation to $1 bills. If we could just find a way ... to make it less likely paper bills get wet or damp ... making them not functional in bill acceptors.

Just a thought ... on one possible explanation for some of the borderline 2020 bragging of the previous responses ... especially big metro areas ... is the fact that customers had more spare time on their hands because of Covid-19 restrictions on so many other activities.

Last edited:
Etowah

KleanRide

Reaction score
Debra & others,

Just a thought ... on one possible explanation for some of the borderline 2020 bragging of the previous responses ... especially big metro areas ... is the fact that customers had more spare time on their hands because of Covid-19 restrictions on so many other activities.
1) Thanks mjwalsh, I'm changing my handle to "Borderline Bragger"

2) Don't throw shade on others just because you built a car wash out in the sticks

Last edited:

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
1) Thanks mjwalsh, I'm changing my handle to "Borderline Bragger"

2) Don't throw shade on others just because you built a car wash out in the sticks
Heck ... darn ... here ... I thought I was shedding light on possible 2020 overconfidence & the fact that it seemed like some specific larger metro areas than our 132K population tended to have more Covid-19 restrictions on activities. I am sure most will agree that "context" can be important. I was so so so very careful not to hi-jack this thread like some have been known to do ... just because of some "feelings without foundation" that they may have.

I will give you credit though .. at least you did not cross the line of singling someone out & pretending to fix their post ... by blatant change-misquoting.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
I was so so so very careful not to hi-jack this thread...
The following is an example of hijacking a thread. It's called an off-topic comment.
If we could just find a way ... to make it less likely paper bills get wet or damp ... making them not functional in bill acceptors.
In what universe were you careful to avoid making that comment, not to mention the sheer lunacy of the comment itself? Or is this an extremely thinly-veiled "waterproof dollar coin" promotion?

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Very challenging to say the least but hey we still have a couple of months left, let's step on the gas and see what happens!

MudMoney

Reaction score
My rural self serve has seen no drop in revenue, supplies are delivered on time. Hunting season is here so lots of out of staters dealing with snow,ice and mud. Good year to be in business.

washnshine

Reaction score
better than owning a restaurant.
Yes - I think this comment nailed it. Some of us may have great numbers this year - maybe even better than ever, some of us might be down from previous years. Maybe it had to do with the pandemic, maybe it didn’t. But if there is a restaurant forum out there and someone posted this question - probably very few owners would have seen their business holding steady let alone increasing or being a banner year.

I’ve seen some national stats for the amount of restaurants that have closed/will close and not be able to reopen. Don’t know what the stats would be for car washes closing this year , but doubt that we have the numbers the restaurant owners are experiencing.

MEP001

Reaction score
Don’t know what the stats would be for car washes closing this year , but doubt that we have the numbers the restaurant owners are experiencing.
Judging by how well most car washes here are doing, I'm sure any car washes that have closed "due to COVID-19" were going to anyway.