What's new

Fighting City Hall

rick

Reaction score
I have been trying to work with my local water board for over 2 years on reducing my sewage/water bills. It is accounting for 25% of my gross. I bought the wash through bankruputcy several years ago and my water has more than doubled along with gas and electric. I have yet to date taken a salary for my work. I have taken the study by the NCW for sewer rate reduction but they declined that. I told them I had three options, close the doors, get a better rate on my water and sewer, put a well in. After checking city ordinances and consulting with my attorney my attorney said there is no ordinance so put the well in. Performed all the prep work line to equipment room ect. Then sent my driller to get his license but the mayor would not give him a license and stated he did not want Well in city. Talked to law director and he stated that this was a major renovation to building and I needed permit. If i was to install well they would get injunction against me to not use well. In the interim they are trying to pass ordinance stating no wells in city. Here is the delema, my attorney states they cannot stop me but it could cost me several thousand dollars fighting them which would not offset savings. What do you do?:mad:

Reds

Reaction score
I would put the well in ASAP so it would be grandfathered in. It's insurance to temper future increases.

rick

Reaction score
Well as far as I am concerned it is already started so any new ordiances should not pertain and per legal advise I have applied for permit that cannot be turned down per ordinances exisiting at this time. They just like to make up the rules as they go:confused:

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I don't know what a well costs, but would reclaim be a solution? Would that would keep city inspectors, and the fire dept inspectors off your back? In our area a well is restricted, but the real problems with a well outside of our city is the hardness, lots of iron, and wells within a mile of each other can range from
3-50gpm. you should check that out with the well driller,or even better well users. Another idea, depending on your water useage may be rain water harvesting, that could be done fairly cheap, and get good soft water.

soapy

Reaction score
In some states if you live in an incorporated city state stautes will prohibit you from putting in a well. Check state codes in addition to the city code.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“I bought the wash through bankruputcy several years ago and my water has more than doubled along with gas and electric. I have yet to date taken a salary for my work.”

Since you haven’t made any money in two years, my guess is that a percentage reduction in these costs isn’t going to get you there either. So, I believe you are picking the wrong fight.

Given the option of increasing sales volume and average revenue by 10% as opposed to a 10% reduction in variable unit cost, most small business owners would choose the former.

What good is a fuel efficient car if you have no fuel?

Consequently, I believe you have more to gain by fighting for more customers than you would by picking a fight with city hall.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
After you install a well, will still be using sewer to dispose of the water? This creates a whole issue of headaches for the utility. Will they have meters on your discharge line? So I can see them not happy with that. They also don't want to set a precedent so everyone who is unhappy with their utility bill starts drilling and dumping into the sanitary sewer system.

rick

Reaction score
First this is a village not a city. The sewer could be charged the same as everyone, on usage. A simple wtaer meter on well line would do this. They mentioned outflow meter but i would think this would be failry costly and they would want me to install. What is the cost for sewage meters? As for water there is plenty and would be pulling from same aquifer as the village. The other problem is they only supply through a 3/4" line so i have to store and repressurize.

Dean Taylor

Dean Taylor, CATEC.com
Reaction score
A good water reclaim system will reduce your water and sewer by about 70%! If you put in a good system, you're customers won't even know you are using reclaim water. Upfront investment, $25 to $40K, depending on your wash. Return on investment? You do the math.