What's new

Fence in self serve carwash

thbeard8

Reaction score
I’m considering putting a fence around my self service carwash to cut down on theft and vandalism at night. Has anyone else done this? What are some of the cons to doing this?

MEP001

Reaction score
I haven't done it, but I've considered it. There's a serious homeless problem here, and they've been going through the trash at night throwing it everywhere. It used to be MUCH worse, but I finally got the vacuum cleanouts secure and locked the cans down. I haven't had much vandalism to worry about, and break-ins are pretty minimal.

One of the cons would be having to lock it up every night and reopen it in the morning, assuming you also gate it to keep people out. It wouldn't make much sense to fence it in if you don't also gate it to stop people walking in. I've had one burglary attempt where the guy parked next door and walked in. IMO it would look a lot less inviting with a fence.

thbeard8

Reaction score
Yeah that is true it would make it less inviting. I was also considering adding roll up doors to each of the bays to lock down at night but that still leaves the vacuums, vending and equipment room as a target. As well as the trash cans and anything else they want to vandalize..

Randy

Reaction score
We have 3 car washes that are fenced and gated with 5’ chain link fencing. It’s helped keep the vandalism and theft down. They are closed from 10pm to 6:30am. We have a security company come and lock the gate and come back at 6:30am and open the gate. The security company drives by to check on things a few things in the night. We also turn off most of the lights from 10pm to 6:30am, only leave a few on for security.

mmurra

Reaction score
We put up a wood 6' solid fence across the back and side of the property to eliminate the chance of someone hiding behind the was, Much more secure with the fence and better for women customers. The can see anyone coming or going much more easily.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We put up a wood 6' solid fence across the back and side of the property to eliminate the chance of someone hiding behind the was, Much more secure with the fence and better for women customers. The can see anyone coming or going much more easily.
Mark,

Can you clarify something? I was under the impression that your facility was successfully gated with monthly membership. Those thoughts reminded me of a Canadian Style 14 bay we competed with that tough competition back in the 1980s. On the other hand that ... still existing facility ... is no longer used as a self service car wash.

MudMoney

Reaction score
Im in a rural setting and gate my self serve everynite.Been doing this for 10 years,seems the only customers past 9 pm are up to no good. Big peace of mind. I've got doors and changers are inside,one lone vac out in front of gate.

Cool Wash

Reaction score
I am also thinking about fencing and add gate that will be closed at 10p and open at 6a. I can put an automatic gate that will close and open by itself using pre-set timer, right?
Does anyone have good understanding about % of revenue loss during closed period (10p-6a)?

OurTown

Reaction score
Would you have to usher people out sometimes at closing time?

MudMoney

Reaction score
I used to keep track of revenue from 10 to 5 am.was not worth keeping lites on .

MEP001

Reaction score
I am also thinking about fencing and add gate that will be closed at 10p and open at 6a. I can put an automatic gate that will close and open by itself using pre-set timer, right?
Does anyone have good understanding about % of revenue loss during closed period (10p-6a)?
I can tell you by watching nighttime video that if I were to close from 10 PM to 6 AM I might lose on average $5 or less at night. I'd do it if I could, then all cameras would be set to motion detect and set to alarm if anything at all moves on the lot.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score

I am thinking you also improved wind effect via the solid 6' fence??? I am sure that the portion thaty was "private gym" ???enterprise was not helped by the Covid-19???

mmurra

Reaction score
Mark,

Can you clarify something? I was under the impression that your facility was successfully gated with monthly membership. Those thoughts reminded me of a Canadian Style 14 bay we competed with that tough competition back in the 1980s. On the other hand that ... still existing facility ... is no longer used as a self service car wash.
Mike-yes, we are still a "pay one price, wash all you want" 6+2 gated carwash. Still doing well. The fence along the rear has been there for 35 years. The property is not accessible from the rear but the fence offers a secure feeling for customers.

mmurra

Reaction score
I am thinking you also improved wind effect via the solid 6' fence??? I am sure that the portion thaty was "private gym" ???enterprise was not helped by the Covid-19???
We closed the fitness center for four months, opened it in late August. Been a tough year!

mmurra

Reaction score
The 6' fence does cut the wind a lot. We do not use doors on the automatics in Michigan, so it helps.

JustClean

Reaction score
Another carwash in town has a simple aluminum fence with an automatic gate that lets no one in between 10pm and 6am. Whoever is inside can get out via a loop in the ground (or maybe light beam - not so sure). Anyway, he is absolutely pleased and I am thinking of doing the same.

Rule #1: Wild pigs always come out at night!

PS
Another idea: You could then only give access to your carwash members at night.

Last edited:

Cool Wash

Reaction score
Hello SS Owners,

I found this old thread.

I am thinking to fence off my SS wash with an automatic gate that will open at 6:00a and close at 10:30p. It will have a sensor to let customers leave that are still washing after 10:30p.

I am wondering if some has done this and how is the experience. Do you have issues with gates not opening or closing? Has vandalism, trash, homeless issues stopped or decreased significantly? Was the investment justified? What would you do differently if you do it again?

Thanks

MudMoney

Reaction score
I'm fenced and gated,do it myself. I like the idea of a security company stopping by to close at nite. I had an employee not check the bays and closed remotely. Customer stuck inside the bay with the doors down ,called the fire dept which called the employee to let them out.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Hello SS Owners,

I found this old thread.

I am thinking to fence off my SS wash with an automatic gate that will open at 6:00a and close at 10:30p. It will have a sensor to let customers leave that are still washing after 10:30p.

I am wondering if some has done this and how is the experience. Do you have issues with gates not opening or closing? Has vandalism, trash, homeless issues stopped or decreased significantly? Was the investment justified? What would you do differently if you do it again?

Thanks
I believe Mark Murra from Michigan has done something similar. Some Canadian formats are like what was in bismarck (14 bays) here with a parking lot style arm requiring credit card to enter.