What's new

Favorite Air Tools?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I recently upgraded to an older but nice Ingersoll Rand 4000 air compressor. 60 gallon storage, 220V, 5hp.

I'll be purchasing some air tools to use in the detail shop in an effort to streamline operations and make more money.

I'm looking at a 6" random orbital as well as a 3" mini random orbital, both from Griot's Garage (because I have that catalog not due to any bias).

I'd also like to run an air line around the shop.

What air tools are you using for detailing and what did you create your air supply line from?

Thank you.
:D

MEP001

Reaction score
I like to plumb air in copper, and I always run a section up the wall at least 6 feet with a T and a drain at the bottom to help catch moisture and debris.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like to plumb air in copper, and I always run a section up the wall at least 6 feet with a T and a drain at the bottom to help catch moisture and debris.
Great Tip; Thanks!

BTW, with copper; if I scuffy it up and clear it will it stay shiny copper forever?? Cause I love copper color but not black corroded copper.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
My equipment room uses copper as well. The guy before me put it all in, so not my doing. If it were me, I'd use PEX. More expensive I know, but sweating pipes is not my strong suit. I'd go the easy route and crimp rings onto connectors. :)

You can keep your copper clean by using tabasco sauce and a green scratch pad. That's what we used in the corps when on kitchen duty!

MEP001

Reaction score
Waxman said:
BTW, with copper; if I scuffy it up and clear it will it stay shiny copper forever??
Yes; I painted it black before I mounted it.

buda

Reaction score
They key to success with an air compressor and air tools is knowing how much CFM the compressor will put out at 90 to 100 psi which is what you need to power an air tool.

A 5HP with that sized tank will put out about 15cfm

Then check the cfm of the tools if you are only running one tool that consumes 10 cfm then you are ok.

A horizontal rotary buffer consumes about 17 cfm so your compressor could not keep up and would bog down.

Regards
Bud Abraham

MEP001

Reaction score
I think he's looking for a recommendation on tools, not on a compressor.

buda

Reaction score
Air tools & compressors

Air tools and compressors go hand in hand. The CFM of the compressor you have will determine what tools you can use.

For example, an air powered rotary buffer consumes 17cfm. A 5HP compressor with a 60 gallon tank might put out 15 cfm.

Regards
Bud Abraham

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks guys and especially Buda who followed up with a phone call and helped me determine my air compressor's capacity to run air tools.

Looks like some will work with my unit (closer to 11cfm at 90 psi) and some will not, so it is nice to know a starting point for choices in air tools to aid detailing operations!