What's new

Fabricating stainless pump stands.

RAATCB

Reaction score
I want to learn how to fabricate stainless pump stands. My current pump stand framing is 1.5'' x 1.5'' square SS tubing tig welded and cut very clean.

Does anyone have a sketch or a starting point?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If you have a stand to copy or modify as desired how would a sketch help?

ToFarGone

Reaction score
You are right, just wanted to see if someone knows or has done it before.
I've had good luck using extruded aluminum (Faztek, Item North America). Looks good, lots of options, and no welding.

Just a thought while you are still in the design stage.

MEP001

Reaction score
It's expensive to have something designed and built in stainless steel, and there are lots of places to buy a ready-made bare stand for less than you'd have to invest in the time and cost of drafting something new.

Randy

Reaction score
Making pumps stands isn’t rocket science if you have the right equipment and have the knowhow. Most car wash equipment manufactures don’t make their own pump stands they have a steel fabricator build them as needed.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
As far as welding SS goes, I know Tig is the preferred method. But you can also use Mig as long as you use the right shielding gas (Tri Mix). When I made my new float tank and hydrominder mix tank stand, I used 1.5” SS square tubing and Mig welded it using a spool gun. Turned out great and took a lot less time.

mac

Reaction score
IB Washing, good call. Did you used to be a detective? There's a lot of used stuff out there now. To design, purchase materials and tools, and actually build it, you are going to have a lot more time and money into it than just buying one. You know, I know how to build a house. A real nice one. But would I do it? Same with this.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
So far that has not been my experience….With either the CW or building a house! I searched for weeks to find somebody to make new float tanks or purchase ones already made the way I wanted them. If I did find one the right size, it was missing the amount of outlets I wanted plus they wanted an arm and leg for it. Over $400 per tank…And that was for something around 10 gallons. So I designed and made my own for a fraction of the cost.

As for the house… Same thing. I’ve tried hiring “So called experts” to do work I didn’t have time for. Only to have to turn around and redo most of what I hired them to do. Maybe it’s the area I live in… Maybe I’m too picky….I’ve just found if I want it done and done the way I want it, I have to do it myself.

Attached are a few pics to show the quality of Mig SS welds. I know its not a pump stand. Just showing the OP that sometimes you have to design and make it the way you want it.

RAATCB

Reaction score
I have seen many pump stand setups, I do not like the way the are built. Most are way too over built and complicated. I want to simplify the way with using the least parts, fittings, etc.

Thank you for sharing pictures of your set up. Still it looks over built which i'm sure it can be redone more simpler.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
My last system had one hot and one cold supply from the tanks to all 4 pumps. If you had to work on one bay, all 4 bays would have to be shut off. So I made sure the new design incorporated enough valves to isolate the problem bay without turning off the rest of the bays...It seemed like a simple solution to me.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
My last system had one hot and one cold supply from the tanks to all 4 pumps. If you had to work on one bay, all 4 bays would have to be shut off. So I made sure the new design incorporated enough valves to isolate the problem bay without turning off the rest of the bays...It seemed like a simple solution to me.
Just to add to 2Biz's posts ... when considering stainless material for a project ... it is usually a lot less costly to find perfectly good stainless off of discarded equipment than to buy brand new stainless. Having a nifty affordable PowerMax Plasma Cutter that we bought from a local welding supply friend has helped us to access reusable stainless steel sections better.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
IB Washing, good call. Did you used to be a detective? There's a lot of used stuff out there now.
My next door neighbor stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I bought a used system similar to 2Biz equipment, except that it's stainless steel. I had time on my side, so I removed all of the over-engineered stuff and modified it to my liking. I even installed new pumps, paid someone to come in and swap it out for me, and still came in at just over 1/3 of the cost of new.