What's new

Eyebrows

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
i m in the process of installing a new razor my top two packages will have three and four presoak passes
Why? What is the thought process...would you use three or four different chemicals? Why not just increase your strength of each presoak and save all the extra water and time?

soonermajic

Reaction score
Why? What is the thought process...would you use three or four different chemicals? Why not just increase your strength of each presoak and save all the extra water and time?
My thoughts exactly. But, if there's a good reason for 3/4 passes, i wanna hear ya...

Damoni88

Reaction score
There is absolutely no reason to do 3 or 4 passes. You are wasting chemicals and driving the price per car up. Contact Steve with fragramatics he will bring some chemicals to your site and get you what you need.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I understand how it may not make sense to some, but I want to try it anyway. I'm going to use the same chemical with multiple passes for more dwelltime and cleaning power. I think by upping the chemical strength and using less chemical there is more chance to damage chrome trim paint etc. At a $20 price point I don't mind spending more on chemicals and water per car. Since No one has created the " chemical" magic bullet for cleaning in a touch free, Why is it so crazy to you guys to load on extra passes of soap for more cleaning power and dwell time?

Last edited:

jubalr

Reaction score
I understand how it may not make sense to some, but I want to try it anyway. I'm going to use the same chemical with multiple passes for more dwelltime and cleaning power. I think by upping the chemical strength and using less chemical there is more chance to damage chrome trim paint etc. At a $20 price point I don't mind spending more on chemicals and water per car. Since No one has created the " chemical" magic bullet for cleaning in a touch free, Why is it so crazy to you guys to load on extra passes of soap for more cleaning power and dwell time?
What will the total wash time be on your top 2 packages?

ICEMAN

Reaction score
I would also like to know how adding an extra presoak pass will get the car cleaner. I have owned touchless automatics for 30 years and have tried more chemical variations then i care to remember. All you will do is drive up your cost and more importantly lower your car counts. The main weakness in a touchless in throughput, why make it worse. On a busy day the last thing I would want is more dwell time and passes. On busy days I speed up my 360's. You all heard the saying.. A touchless car wash gets a clean car clean and a dirty car wet.... Adding passes is just a bad business decision. I think a touchless is only going to clean to a certain level and that is it. Just titrate your chemicals, have good water and that is about the best you can do. As far as eyebrows forget it, never seen a touchless clean these effectively even with HF. Would never use HF unless you like replacing equipment, no need for it the results do not justify the damage to the machine. The reason the guy with three autos has three passes is simple.....HE HAS THREE AUTOMATICS

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Who cares?!!🤪 @ $20/car you have 7 minute top pkg is still $160/hr!!!
I have never seen an IBA do $20 price points. Unreal
I hadn't either until a PDQ friction machine near me went to that price. There is also a D&s machine that is friction that charges 17. It's not an affluent community either, but the price is what the market will bear not what the owner thinks is fair.

ICEMAN

Reaction score
I think the most important number is average per car. You can have a 20 dollar top wash but what does it matter if nobody buys it. I think friction will always get a higher number because they have a better chance of cleaning the car. In my area I have two close competitors, one has a 10 dollar top wash and one has a top wash of 8. My top wash is 15.00 and it averages 40 percent of sales. Laser 360's. I really do not care what my competition does because I run my business as I think it should be run. After being in this business for thirty plus years I know one thing. There is no shortage of operators letting money walk due to poor pricing structures.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not at all worried about having a poor pricing structure; my old IBA ( touchfree) pricing showed a strong lean towards the top ( $15 ) package out of 4 customer options. That was with a 16 year old Superior machine that was slow and not very programmable nor reliable. No tri-foam, no ceramic, limited to 2 presoaks, ETC.

I disagree that friction will always get higher price; at least in my market. I could see not caring about competitors' prices if you are higher than them, but I would care very much if I were lower. That is leaving money on the table. I'm aiming for an average per car of $17.75. Time will tell!

ICEMAN

Reaction score
Tough to compare different markets. Just the fact that you were getting 15 dollars for your top package with a 16 year old auto tells you something. If I were you I would go higher than 20 dollars on the top. If they were paying 15 for that auto they will pay more for a better machine. A 16 year old auto in my area, at any price point, would be dead in the water. This is the point I made about pricing structure,, always charge more if your market will bear it. Waxman your market seems like it would