What's new

Express Conveyor vs. In Bay Automatic

Robert613

Reaction score
I am looking at locations for my first wash and have seen the two styles individually but am curious about the pros and cons of each and which is best/most profitable in specific situations. I'm looking at a .8 acre lot at an intersection with a light and high traffic volume with the closest wash about 3 miles away.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Find a spot farther away than 3miles for sure is a start. What's the traffic count?

Robert613

Reaction score
13,000 per day and I live in a state where they lay down salt heavy come winter time.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Traffic count is too low to support $3M+ investment for an EE tunnel. What is the trade area pop?

Plus the biggest difference between the two is do you want to to be an employer? Employees are a whole different ball game if you've never had them before.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
To me a IBA would be the only thing I would consider with that traffic count and would be hesitant doing that with competion that close unless there not meeting demands at peak times. Deffiently would not put a express in you need 25k+ a day in traffic to support that.

Robert613

Reaction score
Trade pop is 73,000. I live in a rural state so what is a good trade pop and distance from closest competition for a good entry?

Robert613

Reaction score
Over the last few years the traffic volume has increased to 20k per day. Does this justify building a wash with another location 3 miles away? Thank you for your input!!

washnshine

Reaction score
The other thing is if your competition is an express exterior and you decide to put in a touchless IBA, you can capture those customers that prefer touchless and don’t use the EE. Probably your biggest shot at differentiation being so close.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Over the last few years the traffic volume has increased to 20k per day. Does this justify building a wash with another location 3 miles away? Thank you for your input!!
What kind of competition do you have?

MC3033

Reaction score
.8a on an intersection is a premium lot. I’d be hesitant to build out an IBA on it. Unless the land is being developed for other reasons I’d pass.

An express would be high risk there. Even if the competition wasn’t there I wouldn’t do an express on that site unless there isn’t a better road within 15min that someone can build another wash on

IBA is a smaller investment and will be far less issues

Express has a very high ceiling but most people have no idea what they are doing and lose their ass. Even if you hire a full time manager and compensate them well it will take a good chunk of your time. Without an experienced manager expect to work 60+ hours a week

good luck!

mac

Reaction score
Heed these words of advice Robert. This isn't what the salesmen would say.

Robert613

Reaction score
I really appreciate the advise and this has certainly opened my eyes. I was recently laid off a few weeks ago and am looking to start my own business but I'll have to search for either a new location for a wash or choose another business entirely. It's only been 2 weeks since the being laid off but I'll admit I'm pretty discouraged and hate not working.